Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Odometer/Speedometer Intermittent

Old 02-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Default Odometer/Speedometer Intermittent

I recently bought a 94 Civic DX with 220,000 miles and I'm having an issue where the speedometer sometimes works perfect, sometimes it's jumping around erratic, and sometimes it just lies at 0 and wont budge. I've recently noticed that when it's lying at 0, the odometer and trip counter are also not rolling at all. Also there is NO check engine light (the light works on startup so I know that's not a problem)

My initial guess would be the speed sensor(except for the no CEL). I'm very new to DIY auto service, but I found the VSS and took it out and I didn't notice anything that looked like a bad connection (corrosion, dirt, rust) so I just reinstalled it. While the VSS was off I started the car and the Sp/Odo didn't move. It's back on and behaving as erratic as before.

I've read that spraying it with electronic cleaner might help. I've read that I might need a new cluster if it's not the VSS, or that maybe it's a bad wire. I'm going to be looking at each piece in the next few days, but before I do, does anyone have a better idea on what I should start with?

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

For the ECU to detect there is a VSS problem, you need to be rolling in gear without pressing the gas for several seconds. Only then the CEL will come on.

The cluster comes apart and you can replace just the speedometer/odometer part. It has a circuit board that can be re-soldered. Also the screws that hold the speedometer in make the electrical connections to it, so be sure they are not loose.