Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Out of Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:33 PM

fgtryy

Last edited by mrgadget4; 10-09-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:18 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mrgadget4
I have a 1999 Honda Civic LX 1.6L automatic!!! It has beaten me down!!!
Ok this is my story, Bought the car in winter so I have no idea what or if it was doing this last summer!!! The Temp gauge will fluctuate from middle of gauge to 3/4 on the gauge with ac on its worse, but will do it while sitting in traffic, and also climbing long hill climbs!!

Five months ago it overheated while I was in a car wash, so I changed the t stat, which fixed it for a while. Three months ago it overheated and I traced it to a head gasket, which was after I just had a timing belt along with water pump, plus the new t stat, and previous owner said he put in a new radiator, which looks new. Did the head job and since then, it has done this fluctuating thing, now I have changed all the sensors, switches, bled the system, took it into honda and they told me it has a head gasket leaking, well I had a good tech do it, and the head was machined and checked for leaks, so I doubt the head gasket is bad. I then put a new engine in it along with a new water pump, t stat, radiator, all sensors and switches, fan was tested out and while it starts to climb it sits at 207degrees fan comes on at 219, and goes back out at 207!! is this normal????

I have never owned a car that the temp gauge moved this much without any problems, but being how the new engine or old did the exact same thing I am clueless and so are all my techs!!!!!

I am a parts guy for Chevy, so don't know Honda well, but I also am not a dumb ***. So I ask you guys I am missing something?????
OK I warped my head because my Civic was overheating and none of the numbskulls at any of the three shops I took it to listened to me. The machine shop that is resurfacing my head right now knew exactly what the problem was. FANS AND FAN RELAY. I told three different shops that my fans only come on if the AC is running. When it is off it will just overheat. They told me overheating was due to fluid loss and not the fans. Fans aren't coming on because not enough fluid running past the temp sensor. BS!!!! Change your fan relay. Drive out on an open road where you can get up to 55 for a couple miles then stop and see if the temp climbs and if the fans kick on and stay on till engine is back in proper range. If one or both fans do not come on then even with AC on then replace the fans and the relay.