HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Overheating... Need Some Help (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/overheating-need-some-help-91687/)

darkside 12-21-2011 07:48 AM

Overheating... Need Some Help

Hey guys, I've been dealing with this problem for a few weeks now and I'm totally lost. The biggest problem has been overheating. It usually starts when the car is idling then seems to happen when its moving too. Eventually me pulling over to put more antifreeze in it or let it cool off got old so I took it into a shop.

They did a compression test, pressure test, checked the cooling system for leaks, checked the plugs, tested the head gasket, replaced the rad cap, thermostat, and power flushed the block/radiator. Heard of thermos failing outta the box but I actually changed the thermostat 2 days before I brought it into them so I don't think that's 3 bad thermos in a row.. I changed the oil and checked it for coolant too, didn't see anything. No white smoke outta the exhaust and it doesn't smell any different. Coolant reservoir kinda smells like gasoline though. I got it back from the shop Friday, it ran fine all weekend, took a 2 hour one-way trip to Atlantic City for the weekend without any problems, ran fine to/from work the past 2 days, until I went back to my part time job delivering pizza last night. Car did fine all night but after about 5-6 hours of driving it overheated while idling again and I noticed some coolant had sprayed out. The other thing I noticed is that the heat in the cab only works when I'm moving. Called the shop and he sounds about as stumped as me, so any help could be appreciated.

darkside 12-21-2011 07:49 AM

I also forgot to mention the lower hose for the radiator that leads into the thermo is cold, upper one is hot. And it's on 05 with about 90k miles on it.

cvcrcr99 12-21-2011 08:07 AM

Buy an OEM Honda Tstat. I have never had a problem.

Are the fans turning on?

darkside 12-21-2011 08:12 AM

Yeah the fans are kicking on without a problem.

droopy128 12-21-2011 09:40 AM

Ok.. so after changing out t-stat a few time, let try to change another one (just buy a new one first).. this time, re-use the old one, with using only the outer ring and gasket, and cut out the middle portion where the spring, piece of copper and discard, re-install just the outer shell of t-stat with rubber gasket. This will keep your water flow at all time, if this method doesn't cause you to over heat, then it your t-stat. If you still over heat, then it other issue maybe your water pump.

darkside 12-21-2011 10:36 AM

Already replaced the thermostat twice, you really think it could be another bad one?

cvcrcr99 12-21-2011 11:05 AM

Where are you buying Tstats from? You could also remove the tstat, drop it in a pot of water, turn on the stove and watch it open. Then shut off the heat source and watch it close again.

Overheating while driving on the highway, would either be a clogged coolant passageway or radiator, a defective water pump, a failed Tstat, or a blown head gasket.

Overheating while in traffic, or slow moving speeds, would either be a clogged coolant passageway or radiator, dead fans, a failed Tstat, or a blown head gasket.

You say that coolant sprayed out? From where, underneath the radiator cap? If so, buy a replacement cap.

droopy128 12-21-2011 11:22 AM

Maybe a dumb question, but is it properly seated and it not upside down..??

darkside 12-21-2011 11:58 AM

Coolant looks like it sprayed outta the reservoir but its hard to tell.. the first tstat I bought from autozone, mechanic did the 2nd one like 2-3 days later, not sure what brand. What I'm confused about is that one hose being cold, shouldn't that be about the same temp as the other one?

cvcrcr99 12-21-2011 02:31 PM

Lower hose not warming up would point to a clogged radiator, or a failed Tstat. My suggestion would be to Go to a honda dealership, or somewhere like hondapartsdeals.com, and buy an OEM tstat. I seriously doubt you mechanic put in OEM Honda. I swear by them. lol

Afterwards, check this out:

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...acement-81130/