HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Picking up a CF Hood in a different state, any suggestions?! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/picking-up-cf-hood-different-state-any-suggestions-42121/)

danomatic93 04-12-2007 08:21 AM

Picking up a CF Hood in a different state, any suggestions?!

So, I might be driving from Wisconsin to Minnesota to pick up a CF hood. Are there any suggestions on how I should/could do it? I'm almost tempted to drive there without my hood and putting it on when I get there. Is that even legal to do?? And, no, I don't have a truck. I only have my civic.

2slo4u 04-12-2007 08:24 AM

RE: Picking up a CF Hood in a different state suggestions?!

It might be alegal. But hey take a chance. Just tell the cop your on your way to get a hood.

Forty04 04-12-2007 08:33 AM

ORIGINAL: 2slo4u

It might be alegal. But hey take a chance. Just tell the cop your on your way to get a hood.
Exactly. The worst they can do is give you a "fix it" ticket, which you could get tossed out later the same day after putting the new hood on.

How far is the trip though, I dont think I'd want to be driving on the highway with no hood for more than a few miles, IF that

danomatic93 04-12-2007 08:38 AM

I know that's my worry. It's from Madison, WI to Minneapolis, Mn. It's a 4.5 hour drive (273miles)

ScoobyAddict14 04-12-2007 09:30 AM

i would not drive without a hood for 273 miles, do you have access to a truck?

danomatic93 04-12-2007 09:33 AM

nope

2slo4u 04-12-2007 09:36 AM

Whats wrong with driving with out a hood? I mean 273 miles is hella far,I would never do it for a hood.But is it bad for your motor to drive that far with out a hood?

cderalow 04-12-2007 09:38 AM

not sure why everyone thinks driving around without a hood is dangerous or what?

if your car is in good shape, and the motor doesn't have problems, you should be fine, for however long...

i used to drive my pickup around sans hood for weeks at a time

edit: i don't necessarily recommend it, but there really isn't that much that can go wrong that needs the hood...

be prepared to get ****ty gas mileage though

Forty04 04-12-2007 10:13 AM

True, there isn't a lot that can go wrong, but its not a chance that I would EVER take. Hell, you're better off putting a blanket on top of your car, and tying the hood to the roof

danomatic93 04-12-2007 10:14 AM

I thought about even taping the hood to my hood, but with my luck I know it would fly off.

Forty04 04-12-2007 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: danomatic93

I thought about even taping the hood to my hood, but with my luck I know it would fly off.

uuuggghhhh :eek:

danomatic93 04-12-2007 10:24 AM

Key word: thought

After I realized it was a horrible idea I then came up with the no hood idea. None have occurred since.

Forty04 04-12-2007 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Forty04

True, there isn't a lot that can go wrong, but its not a chance that I would EVER take. Hell, you're better off putting a blanket on top of your car, and tying the hood to the roof

danomatic93 04-12-2007 10:33 AM

The only things stopping me from doing that are my window vent shades. I'll break 'em off if I tie a rope around.

Forty04 04-12-2007 10:41 AM

Let me guess, you bought the kind that just stick on?

danomatic93 04-12-2007 10:54 AM

Why should I have bought some that screw on? Or better yet, velcro??? What am I supposed to do?

ryank327 04-12-2007 11:01 AM

get there put the CF hood on your car then tie your stock hood to your roof. That way any dmage to the stocker really wouldnt matter. Or if your stock hood isnt in great shape you could consider finding a dumpster or something and tossing it before you begin the trip back.

edit: better yet find the local scrapyard there and drop it off for a few bucks.

danomatic93 04-12-2007 11:05 AM

Well, my hood is near mint. Other than regular highway nicks it's, wait damnit, I forgot. I park on the street and some ass clown put a little dent in my hood. Damn.

FlipHKD720 04-12-2007 11:13 AM

the new one?

danomatic93 04-12-2007 11:21 AM

My stock white one.

FlipHKD720 04-12-2007 11:33 AM

oh alright....i say maybe find a freind or something with a truck, idk, just ask around. Friends have friends, and those friends have friends, and they all have parents, who have freinds...

riceburner700 04-12-2007 11:42 AM

if your back seats fold down and you can access your trunk from inside the car why not just shove the new hood in sideways? you would be amazed at what you can shove into a car with a little persuasion

the_turtle 04-12-2007 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: riceburner700

if your back seats fold down and you can access your trunk from inside the car why not just shove the new hood in sideways? you would be amazed at what you can shove into a car with a little persuasion
holy chit you mind reader!!! that is almost word for word what i was going to say!

danomatic93 04-12-2007 12:03 PM

Can a hood seriously fit inside the car?!??!

INJENalltheway 04-12-2007 12:04 PM

Bring some 2x4s and make a sweet wing for the ride back. Lots uh downferce fer da reer wills.

the_turtle 04-12-2007 12:06 PM

Can a hood seriously fit inside the car?!??!
yes, esp. if you take out the passanger seat...im sure it will fit. although i have never tried it.

Chopsta 04-12-2007 12:14 PM

You could always pay a little extra and have it shipped. It would solve all of these problems at a little more money of course. Convienence doesn't come cheap.

danomatic93 04-12-2007 12:17 PM

That will add 100+ bucks to it. I'm POOR!!!

Forty04 04-12-2007 12:23 PM

That will add 100+ bucks to it. I'm POOR!!!
No way will it cost 100 bucks to ship a hood.

Better yet, do you have a Greyhound station near you?

Fiirkan 04-12-2007 12:33 PM

WHy not just stick the hood in you back seat? or squeeze it in. just a thought, i dunno. i know it has been mentioned before

danomatic93 04-12-2007 12:39 PM

I'm going to go with a tape measure and find out if it is plausable to fit in the car.

Jhong12226 04-12-2007 01:00 PM

273 miles? one more thing if your have been driving for 2 or so hours then its started to rain or snow, would that damage your engine though? engine will be too hot to handle snow or rain by that time, might crack your block or cylinder head.

INJENalltheway 04-12-2007 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Chopsta

Convienence doesn't come cheap.
It does at Wendy's! [sm=smiley20.gif]

cderalow 04-12-2007 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: INJENalltheway

ORIGINAL: Chopsta

Convienence doesn't come cheap.
It does at Wendy's! [sm=smiley20.gif]

POTM