HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Please help, I need a bike rack for 2006 civic... (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/please-help-i-need-bike-rack-2006-civic-44655/)

gvayl 05-19-2007 10:57 AM

Please help, I need a bike rack for 2006 civic...

I have a 2006 Civic sedan 4 door. I want to get a bike rack. I went to Thule and Yakima websites and they only recommend roof racks...that will cost me >$400. I was hoping to get a trunk rack for ~$100. I figured it would be easier to put on/take off. I just want to use the rack when I go out biking.
So I called my Honda dealer and they recommend not putting bike racks on the trunk. They said the engineers figured civic owners would have no need for this kinda of stuff, unlike CRV/Element owners. This is horrible becuase my only alternative is spending a hole lot of money for something I might use once or twice a season.
You guys are my last resort....
If anyone has any ideas I'd sure appreciate all your help.

Thank you

Gene J 05-19-2007 01:05 PM

RE: Please help, I need a bike rack for 2006 civic...

As you can see a Rhode Gear rack works fine on the '06 Civic. Hollywood is another quality brand. You may have to make sure the arms are short enough to fit. Try your local bicycle shop and avoid the BigBox stores, as theirs seem to be too flimsy and one-size-fits-all to me. With this setup I can open the trunk without removing the rack.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19981/E067EA9A0A1A472B9FDB29B7E7B2C7D9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19981/93975E21FF5E4299B7B6780C07022C06.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19981/7AF34541259C4129A64B7018E538D363.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19981/D41160E25FBA47698EFB83CC944F417B.jpg[/IMG]

gvayl 05-19-2007 01:40 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the reply! Do you know what model this is?

Also I'm trying to find this online....no luck...

Gene J 05-19-2007 01:58 PM

Here's one on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Rhode-Gear-Bike-...QQcmdZViewItem

gvayl 05-19-2007 02:25 PM

I dunno...I'd rather buy a new one. I think this company is no longer making these racks...which means that the warrantee is non-existant...

Gene J 05-19-2007 02:37 PM

Good luck.

Kommando 05-20-2007 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: gvayl

I have a 2006 Civic sedan 4 door. I want to get a bike rack. I went to Thule and Yakima websites and they only recommend roof racks...that will cost me >$400. I was hoping to get a trunk rack for ~$100. I figured it would be easier to put on/take off. I just want to use the rack when I go out biking.
So I called my Honda dealer and they recommend not putting bike racks on the trunk. They said the engineers figured civic owners would have no need for this kinda of stuff, unlike CRV/Element owners. This is horrible becuase my only alternative is spending a hole lot of money for something I might use once or twice a season.
You guys are my last resort....
If anyone has any ideas I'd sure appreciate all your help.

Thank you

Forget getting a rack for the roof or the trunk. You'll likely eventually scratch the paint or dent something. Roof racks are often expensive too, and they're not always easy to remove quickly when you want less air turbulence.

Think outside the box a little.

I searched through google and found a 1.25" receiver hitch(200lb tongue capacity) for around $100US to bolt on my Civic (easy 15-25 minute install). You may be able to find a good receiver hitch for even less than that on Ebay. Then I mounted my oldYakima Roc 4-cradle rack in the receiver. You may be able to find a cheaper modern receiver rack that suits your needs better, but mine has an available attachment for skis/snowboardstoo. There are LOTS of options for receiver racks out there, new & used.I don't have to lift awkward/muddy bikes over the roof, and I can still easily openmy trunk with 4 bikes (100-125lb) racked. If you have a sunroof, you can open it without mud dripping in too. This setup also keeps the weight of the loaded rack off of body panels and puts it on the sturdier unibody instead. Nothing touches painted body panels.

Therack can be removed, or swapped tothe receiver on my Wrangler, in seconds, and when I sell a vehicle I can still use the same rack if the new vehicle has a receiver (a 1.25"-to-2" adapter may be needed). If I want to carry more stuff than the trunkspace allows, I still have my roof available for a cargo box up there too.

Commodore P 03-29-2009 10:08 AM

4-bike rack on Class I hitch?

Kommando -- Have you had any trouble or outright failure with your 1.25" 200 pound tongue weight hitch, with 4 bikes loaded up on that Yakima 4-bike rack?

I have a class I hitch on my 2007 Civic but am wary of trying 4 bikes (up to 35 pounds each) plus the rack itself (another 35 pounds).

Thanks -- any advice or experience welcome.

GuvmentCheese 04-08-2009 04:48 AM

I just bought an 01 EX coupe and was also leaning towards a hitch rack. My old trunk rack no longer fits because of the spoiler, and roof racks look to be an expensive option for a 2 door. Besides, I just had the car repainted and I'd rather not scuff it up with racks/bikes.

However, like Commodore P, I was just concerned about the weight on the hitch, if there were any problems with a fully loaded rack, or if it threw off the vehicles handling to an extent that would make driving extended distances an issue?

Thanks

trep53 04-08-2009 05:57 PM

When I was shopping for a receiver hitch rack I was told by the installer (Hidden Hitch & Draw Tite) that it was limited to 2 bikes because the sheet metal under the car won't support the load. So I just bought a $45.00 no-name trunk mount rack from my bike dealer and it works fine. But I would have preferred a receiver type rack.