Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

PLEASE HELP - My 1996 Honda Civic won't start & I love that car!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Default PLEASE HELP - My 1996 Honda Civic won't start & I love that car!

Hi Guys - I'm a newbie here and I'm really hoping one of you knowlewdgable folk will be able to help me out as I've checked your FAQs and "solved problems" boards but haven't found the answer to my problem.

I have a 1996 Honda Civic E - which I love but which currently is refusing to start.

When I turn the key there's nothing...no starter motor sound, no power up sound, nothing - the hazard lights do still work though, and the lights by the door locking ***** also still work but are not working normally. Normally when the car is locked and the alarm is on the indicator lights by the doors (internal) push-down ***** flick on and off at regular intervals, but currently these little red lights (one on each door) are on constantly.

I drove the car fine one day, that night the car-alarm went off three times for no apparent reason - and when I came to start the car the next day, as I say there was nothing.

Jump starting the car did not work, and I have replaced the battery but still currently nothing.

I think the problem must be related to the immobilzer but there is nothing in the owners manula about the immobilizer or how to fix it.

I have checked other posts and a car with a similar problem had got a broken wire to the immobilzer which was causing the problem.

I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me

a) How to find the immobilzer on my car

b) Whether this problem does sound like an immobilzer problem

c) What else it could be.

Thank you for your help guys - I really do appreciate it!

Cheers

Karen

Old 12-12-2005, 03:49 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: PLEASE HELP - My 1996 Honda Civic won't start & I love that car!

First of all welcome. If by the immobilizer you mean a kill switch of some sort, then yes it definitely sounds like a kill switch problem. It could be the way the alarm actually functions. If the alarm went off then the kill switch may be on the disable position. Depending on what type of alarm you have and who installed it, the kill switch can be anywhere. However most are near the steering column. It should look like a regular relay switch. It’s is a little hard to explain and it would be best if you took it to someone who is familiar with alarm systems. They should be able to figure it out. Hopefully this helps.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:12 PM

Hi 97CivicEX - thanks for the welcome!

As far as I can determine my immobilizer is factory-fitted by Honda - will the kill-switch still be near the sterring column in that case? *hangs head in shame* - I've been driving this car for 4 years now and I never even knew it had an immobilizer kill-switch - Yikes! - presumably this switch doesn't need resetting very often?

However now I know it should be there I'll hunt diligently for it! What do you think of the possible broken-wire-in wiring-loom scenario? Does this also sound feasible?

Thanks again for your help.

All help gratefully received - I really, really don't want to have to S.C.R.A.P this car!

Cheers

Ecelecticanna (aka Karen)

Old 12-13-2005, 04:41 PM
HCF Member

ok, now I am confused. I installed my factory alarm myself, and I know the alarm module is right above the stereo. I don't remember if it came with a kill switch though. Let me look for it when I get home. If it is not a kill switch, then it sounds like it could be the ignition switch itself. Let me verify if the factory alarms for our years actually came with a kill switch, then we can go from there.

Old 12-13-2005, 08:30 PM

I would say your altenator is smoked. I might be way off but if you replaced the battery and it still won't turn your car isn't a holding a charge. A mechanic can tell you if your altenator holds a charge or not before they replace it. It's worth paying the diagnotsic fee before dumping money into parts that you don't need.

peace

Old 12-13-2005, 10:21 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: zmalin007

I would say your altenator is smoked. I might be way off but if you replaced the battery and it still won't turn your car isn't a holding a charge. A mechanic can tell you if your altenator holds a charge or not before they replace it. It's worth paying the diagnotsic fee before dumping money into parts that you don't need.

peace
if it was the altenator then the engine would at least crank over with the battery or when they tried to jump start it. From the description it sounds like no matter if there is juice on the battery nothing happens.