Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Power gained then lost again..where'd it go?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Default Power gained then lost again..where'd it go?!

Hello,

I have a 2002 Civic LX that I bought from a small dealership. I know nothing about Honda's and I felt like it was lagging on the highway (stuggling to get to 80 mph) so I took it back and told them to fix it. They did and it ran like a beast on the freeway (100 mph no problem). I recently had the clutch replaced (bought an Exedy OEM clutch on eBay) and it went right back to being slow on the highway (80-85 mph tops). Not that I am trying to race it out but...

1. What did the dealership do to make it go faster (they since went out of business)?

2. What could have been done when the clutch was replaced to slow it down again?

3. Am I expecting too much from my car to want it not to struggle at 80 mph?

Thanks,
Nick

Old 09-28-2010, 12:14 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by nikolo1986
Hello,

I have a 2002 Civic LX that I bought from a small dealership. I know nothing about Honda's and I felt like it was lagging on the highway (stuggling to get to 80 mph) so I took it back and told them to fix it. They did and it ran like a beast on the freeway (100 mph no problem). I recently had the clutch replaced (bought an Exedy OEM clutch on eBay) and it went right back to being slow on the highway (80-85 mph tops). Not that I am trying to race it out but...

1. What did the dealership do to make it go faster (they since went out of business)?

2. What could have been done when the clutch was replaced to slow it down again?

3. Am I expecting too much from my car to want it not to struggle at 80 mph?

Thanks,
Nick
They used pills called "Speed".

Old 09-28-2010, 12:16 PM
HCF Member

They didnt give you a slip that said what was done/replaced to your car when they took it in?

Old 09-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Actually you should take it back to whoever did the clutch. Maybe they forgot to plug a sensor back in. That will usually light up the Check Engine Light though, assuming it has not been disconnected. Along those lines, check that the CEL comes on and goes out when you turn the key on and don't start. If the CEL stays on while driving, have the code read and resolve that problem.

I'd then go to check that all 4 cylinders work by disconnecting the fuel injectors one at a time with the engine running. Another very common reason for sudden loss of performance is to have the timing belt skip a tooth. Timing belt needs to be replaced with a new one then. Maybe the dealer just put the old one back and it skipped again.