HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Rain killing engine performance? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/rain-killing-engine-performance-26070/)

khanselman 07-26-2006 08:46 AM

Rain killing engine performance?

Well, I've noticed since installing my e-bay SRI and Magnaflow catback that anytime is rains, my car feels like it is on it's last leg. The engine idles rough, accelerates horrible, and I noticed that my exhaust rattles more and sounds deeper than normal... what's this all about?

Also, it rained yesterday and I noticed with this drop in performance that it also kills my gas milage.. I usually get to work and home on about 1/4 tank of gas and yesterday it almost took 1/2 tank..

BillyB98 07-26-2006 09:54 AM

RE: Rain killing engine performance?

water might be getting in your new intake because the filter is open and doesnt have all the protection like it does stock.

khanselman 07-26-2006 01:17 PM

I figured that, but why is it happening? I mean how many people here have SRI or CAI and don't suffer from this problem? Could it be the cheap ebay SRI? How can I stop it from happening?

mill$civic 07-26-2006 02:01 PM

its your cap and rotor probably..let your car run and heat up, and get a bit of water in a cup and and splash a little over your cap and rotor wile your car is running (be sensible when doing this)..if it starts doing the same thing, not running well, making different sounds..your cap and rotor is your problem, a good machanic told me this trick a wile back

khanselman 07-26-2006 05:18 PM

Um, someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe my '02 has a distributor cap / rotor? If I understand it right (still new to this whole engine business) my car uses an ignition coil (coil-on-plug) instead of a distributor.. thanks though Mill$

mxs 07-26-2006 08:52 PM

yeah, I think you're right

you installed the intake and exhaust at the same time?

baker 07-26-2006 08:57 PM

7th gens don't have a dizzy

D17SOHC 07-26-2006 09:44 PM

I definitley ran into the same problem due to the location of my cai right next to the front wheel when it got wet it would shake and vibrate. Also my exhaust would rattle up against the floor of the car . Somebody suggested I take it to the muffler shop and get it reinforced with more hangars and braces and this seemed to help out alot. But if your car is lowered what happens is that the cold water hits the very hot pipes and causes this vibration your talking about.

khanselman 07-26-2006 10:16 PM

I was thinking it might have something to do with the cold water / hot pipe thing.. when I stopped at a light and I saw steam and then heard the rattle, it came to my mind... About how much would it cost to bring it in to a muffler shop and get it reinforced cause that's actually a real problem with my exhaust right now because it keeps rattleing against my sway bar whenever I take a right hand turn...

D17SOHC 07-26-2006 10:38 PM

Should cost no more than 125 total at the most and if you check around Im sure you could get it for cheaper. The labor should take no more than a half hour by any good shop. you can get hangar and clamp kit for alot cheaper and do it yourself but it so much easier to do this when its on a lift. I know that they did weld some new supports so this was a better way to go for me.

Also when it rains I shorten up my cai to just the upper half just to be safe.