Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Random Overheating in Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:57 PM
HCF Member
Default Random Overheating in Traffic

Hey Everyone,

I'm driving a 2002 EX Coupe (automatic) with 99,000 miles. Lately, sporadically, the car has been overheating when I am in traffic. This first happened father's day weekend on my way upstate and then on the way downstate (when I needed to get towed). The car, when it does it, overheats pretty fast once the car is stopped and cools itself off once I start moving. My mechanic had it for a few days and could not get it to overheat.

Just today as I was driving and stopped at a light I noticed the temp gauge creep above midline and began rising. I quickly ran the red light (oops) and went down a side street to cool it down.

I know I have a slow coolant leak, but no one can find the source. I can smell anti-freeze when you pop the hood but even a pressure test did not reveal a leak anywhere. The fan appears to turn on and off whenever it wants, but it always runs when the AC is on. When it overheated today I quickly popped the hood and saw that the fans were off even though the gauge was above 1/2.

What would cause the fans not to act correctly only part of the time? Could this also be an issue with my radiator? My mechanic is stumped and this is my only car right now, so I'm pretty much screwed...

Old 07-02-2008, 03:15 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Random Overheating in Traffic

ORIGINAL: Act of God

Hey Everyone,

I'm driving a 2002 EX Coupe (automatic) with 99,000 miles. Lately, sporadically, the car has been overheating when I am in traffic. This first happened father's day weekend on my way upstate and then on the way downstate (when I needed to get towed). The car, when it does it, overheats pretty fast once the car is stopped and cools itself off once I start moving. My mechanic had it for a few days and could not get it to overheat.

Just today as I was driving and stopped at a light I noticed the temp gauge creep above midline and began rising. I quickly ran the red light (oops) and went down a side street to cool it down.

I know I have a slow coolant leak, but no one can find the source. I can smell anti-freeze when you pop the hood but even a pressure test did not reveal a leak anywhere. The fan appears to turn on and off whenever it wants, but it always runs when the AC is on. When it overheated today I quickly popped the hood and saw that the fans were off even though the gauge was above 1/2.

What would cause the fans not to act correctly only part of the time? Could this also be an issue with my radiator? My mechanic is stumped and this is my only car right now, so I'm pretty much screwed...
Well i had the same problem going on about 2 weeks ago. It would do fine when i was on the freeway but overheated in town. So i figured it was the fan so i took care of that. I wired it so the fan is always on just because its hot in fresno and its not gunna cool down anytime soon. i will probably fix it correctly once winter rolls arround. For you it could be the fan relay or maybe check your fuses. The other thing honda collent systems don't like is air in the system. I would bleed out the system (there is a DIY article in the DIY article section of this site) and see how that does. As for the leak, check all your hoses and hoseclamps, make sure none of the inlets that they go onto are bent.

best of luck...overheating is such a Pain in the *** sometimes.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:22 PM

Your leak might be where the hoses connect to the radiator. If there is a leak there you might not be able to see a broken piece or anything. I had that problem and had to replace my radiator.

Something could be wrong with the thermostat or temperature sensor.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Disconnect the connector to the coolant temperature switch on the thermostat housing. Put a jumper across the free 2P connector (not the switch). Turn the ignition key to On. The radiator fan should run continuously. If so, the switch is bad and should be replaced. If not, check the the fan motor by wiring it directly to the battery. It should run continuously. If not, the fan motor is bad and should be replaced. If the fan and switch are fine, then test the relay.

As mentioned by others, also bleed the cooling system of possible trapped air and replace the thermostat.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Since the fan works with the A/C on, it can't be the motor. The fuse and relay are also shared with the A/C. So it almost has to be the thermo switch on the thermostat housing.

This offers a way to work around the problem. When it starts to overheat, turn the A/C ON. Ordinarily you'd want to turn the A/C OFF when a car is threatening to overheat, to lessen the amount of heat under the hood. But here it should work to cool it off because it forces the fan to come on.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

i used to have the same problem a while back. it would overheat if i sat still but would cool off when i started driving.

turned out that the coolant temperature sensor was not working correctly. got a new one from auto zone for like 15 or 20 bucks and it has not overheated since then.

also if it overheats when sitting in traffic roll down the windows andblast the heater inside the carcuz doing that pulls a lot of the heat off the engine. and will limit any damage the overheating will cause.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:20 PM
HCF Member

I had the same exact problem, small collant leak and random over heateing. It turned out to be a sticking thermostat, change out ur thermostat then bleed the system out entirely. also u might want to think about replacing the water pump around 120k or so along wit timing belt. Better to get it out of the way now then later when stuck in traffic. Good luck

Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 PM
HCF Member

I had the timing belt and water pump replaced at 88,000 miles. Hopefully it isn't that...

I just drove home from my gf's house and left the AC on. Within 2 miles of town driving (after the car sitting 4 hours) the temp rose up towards the H (from normal to the highest point in about a minute ) and I turned off the AC, turned it back on, and pulled over into a closed gas station. The SECOND I pulled into the gas station the temp started going back down and went veryyy low just as fast as it rose to the H (almost 1/4 up from the C).

I drove the entire way home with the AC on with no problems. When I got home I popped the hood and let the car sit. Absolutely nothing. I turned off the AC and let the car sit. The temp held around 50% and that was it.

I am officially losing my mind. I'm so worried about making it to work tomorrow...I'm going to my mechanic first thing in the morning before work to see if he can figure it out and maybe my gf can take me to work.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:42 PM
HCF Member

The first time the car overheated I tried the "blast the heat" technique. For some reason the car was blowing out COOL air. I couldn't get it to blow out hot air for the life of me.

Bizarre.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:44 PM

You should replace the thermostat and see what happens. It's really inexpensive and it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and replace it.

Quick Reply: Random Overheating in Traffic