HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   rattle and vibrating shifter (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/rattle-vibrating-shifter-11560/)

Mark 10-14-2005 07:51 PM

rattle and vibrating shifter

i have a 99 si and i have a short throw. the lever rattles/vibrates when ever i let of the gas. i took it to my buddy whos a mechanic and he said it was because of the aftermarket header pipe and exhaust. i have a dc sports 4-1 header and a dragonfire muffler. does this happen to any one else? would new bushing or anything like that solve it?

ngoti 8tor 10-14-2005 08:02 PM

RE: rattle and vibrating shifter

You should take a look and see if there's anything you can tighten up. The header or exhaust shouldn't cause it unless they're touching something they shouldn't be.

mill$civic 10-14-2005 08:37 PM

ya im with ngot8tor..tighten everything and something must be touching to make it vibrate, when my exhust was touching my rear bumber, it viberates the hell out of it just when im letting off of the gas at a certain point..you should just take a look under

Mark 10-14-2005 09:05 PM

alright. i didnt go under the car but the muffler is touching the bumper. is that a bad thing? and would that be the reason for the shifter to rattle?

ngoti 8tor 10-14-2005 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: adelleda
i didnt go under the car but the muffler is touching the bumper. is that a bad thing? and would that be the reason for the shifter to rattle?
It shouldn't cause the shifter to rattle, but it still shouldn't be touching the bumper or anything else.

Mark 10-15-2005 06:28 PM

ok i got different hangers so thats solved. but the shifter still vibrates and rattles. what should i be looking for to tighten up? thanks mill$civic and ngoti8tor for all your help

mxs 10-15-2005 06:54 PM

dumb question, but is the collar of your shift boot rattling against the shifter by any chance?

amg6975 10-15-2005 07:18 PM

Mine does the exact same thing, can't figure out what the heck it is! I even hacked those weight looking things off the bottom of the shift linkage because I thought they were hitting the exhaust, didn't fix it. I'm gonna dig around under there and look for the heat shield hitting the linkage. I think it might be the bushing where the linkage connects to the tranny too, that thing was shot and I didn't replace it.

Mark 10-15-2005 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: mxs

dumb question, but is the collar of your shift boot rattling against the shifter by any chance?

nope its the whole shifter. whenever i let of the gas it vibrates but if i hold it it doesnt

amg6975 10-16-2005 12:45 AM

Hm, mine actually only does it when I'm accelerating, when I'm coasting it's silent.