HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Rattling (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/rattling-4368/)

Forty04 04-05-2005 06:16 AM

Rattling

I noticed the other day while driving that from time to time my 99 Civic makes a rattling sound from under neath the car. It happened a couple times at the top of first and second gear, but this morning it was doing it while idling. Its really hard to explain what it was doing this morning exactly, but i'll try. I pulled up to my buddy's house to pick him up for work, and while sitting there waiting for him to come out, my egine seemed to gradually get a little bit louder and louder than settled again. The exact time when it was at its loudest and began to settle, the rattling would start for about a second. Any thoughts?

US3R!!!11one 04-05-2005 09:51 AM

RE: Rattling

Could be any number of things, a loose piston could be slapping the inside of the block, if your car is sleeved it could be a dropped sleeve ruining your block, could be your lifters wearing out. I would reccomend you go get it checked out, as it could be something serious. It might just be a loose exhaust system though from what you described =P

Forty04 04-05-2005 04:07 PM

I read a few older threads kinda like this, a lot of people suggested the heat shields.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution. The rattle has nothing to do with the engine idle situation stated in my first post, i found that out on my way home today. And it is DEFINITELY coming from under the car.

US3R!!!11one 04-05-2005 04:36 PM

Does it speed up / slow when your rev the engine?

Pete 04-05-2005 06:21 PM

its the heat shield brah take those bitches off.

D16z6 04-05-2005 06:48 PM

Yep most likely it might be the heat shield. that happend once to my 92 camry and i just went to get it fix for only $23.

Forty04 04-05-2005 07:50 PM

Does it speed up / slow when your rev the engine?

Nope, just happens at random points during driving. Everything else seems to be running great. I'll look into getting that **** fixed asap. Thanks guys

absoulute 04-05-2005 08:06 PM

i would say look at the heat shield..when i test drove a civic and it was already loose and it was brand new.....i had to take mine off after a year it just rotted away from the bolts

Forty04 04-06-2005 11:41 AM

ALso, the sound never fluxuates. Whether i get on it hard, or ease into it, it still happens either way. There is no change in the sound though. Just about 1-2 seconds worth of rattle, and thats it. Because it doesnt shange with engine changes, i'm assuming its gotta just be the heat shield.