Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

replacing ac discharge line

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 03:48 AM
HCF Member
Default replacing ac discharge line

People,

I have to replave the suction line, and observing from engine bay, looks like I have to dismantle the glove box to remove it from the inside- getting to the evaporator itself, right?

Also, once I free up the evap, will I have to also remove/pull out the high pressure line since it looks like both are attached to evap by some kind of "manifold"?

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Honda Automotive Parts

Buy part #4. All work will be done from the engine side of the firewall with the evaporator staying in place. Remove bolt 29 and the block comes off of the TXV.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:53 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Honda Automotive Parts

Buy part #4. All work will be done from the engine side of the firewall with the evaporator staying in place. Remove bolt 29 and the block comes off of the TXV.
Big Thanks, MK! You just made my day! Now, assembly #4- does that include BOTH discharge (suction) line AND high pressure line? (only discharge line is bad) Also, you say bolt #29 but on diagram looks like the bolt head is in back (inside cabin) side, and therefore, do you mean I should unscrew the nut to that bolt?

Old 06-06-2012, 07:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The block assembly includes a metal liquid line which goes over to the left and couples to the line coming from the drier. There are only two rubber hoses in the whole system, the one on part #4 and the one from the compressor to the condenser. I haven't seen a car like that in person but the diagram suggests the bolt head is on the engine side and it screws into a tapped hole. Have you looked at it?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:00 AM
HCF Member

The block assembly includes a metal liquid line which goes over to the left and couples to the line coming from the drier. There are only two rubber hoses in the whole system, the one on part #4 and the one from the compressor to the condenser. I haven't seen a car like that in person but the diagram suggests the bolt head is on the engine side and it screws into a tapped hole. Have you looked at it?
Yes, I have peeked at it this morning, but I was just going by the diagram on the link you provided- appears as if that bolt head is "backward", but i will look at it again/start work when I get home soon, and hopefully, it will be more evident, and bolt head on engine side.

So, otherwise, I shouldnt need a liquid line to buy for this, right mK? The leaky suspect hose is suction only......

Old 06-06-2012, 11:54 AM
HCF Member

yup, its a bolt head- so far so good (havnt removed entire thing yet- taking a break.......)

Old 06-06-2012, 12:49 PM
HCF Member

Uh-ohhhh, problem- it appears that right where the lines go into the TXV "block" the oval aluminum block is welded to BOTH the discharge line AND the liquid line. Man, I thought they sold that (those) lines seperately. I dont get it. Looks like Ill have to remove both lines......have no choice. UNLESS, for some reason, the discharge line does pop out- with force. But, kinda looks welded to me.

Gonna yank some more. Any tipe greatly appreciated.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It is welded. That's why part #4 includes both lines back to where they join other lines.

Don't take it apart yet until you have the refrigerant out and the new part on hand.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:09 PM
HCF Member

It is welded. That's why part #4 includes both lines back to where they join other lines.

Don't take it apart yet until you have the refrigerant out and the new part on hand.
Whew (wiping sweat from forehead), Glad you came back to help, MK, cuz I was getting scared. Now, refrigerant IS out as in leaked out. But, I yanked the whole thing out already- hope thats not a big deal. I loked at the diagram again, and yes, thats it! I was looking at it mirror image kinda thging, and it appeard different. Anyway, time to order it........somewhere anyway.....

Thnaks!

Last edited by pippo; 06-06-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:46 PM
HCF Member

Don't forget to replace the receiver/drier (#7). The drier should ALWAYS be replaced whenever the system is opened for servicing. You can go afermarket for this part if you do not want to pay $63.

Quick Reply: replacing ac discharge line