HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Right Rear Speed Sensor (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/right-rear-speed-sensor-98752/)

Meanie 01-27-2018 07:34 AM

Right Rear Speed Sensor

Took my 2014 Civic EX Coupe to the dealer this morning and they discovered the sensor, per the subject line, was faulty due to multiple warnings I would receive periodically. The part is cheap at $36 but labor is almost $200.

Anyone replace one of these before or know how difficult it is to do myself with the need of special tools?

Thank you

Duane4238 01-27-2018 02:21 PM

Get yourself a manual for your year, or look on this forum. All the manuals are available for free download. Then see how difficult it is to do. I wouldn't think it would be difficult at all. There's not much on a rear corner other than a caliper and a disc, and a strut. With a few hand tools I'd think you could replace it in a short time. Oh, also check out youtube. You'll probably be able to watch someone do the job from beginning to end. I've come to the conclusion that everything is now on YouTube!
Duane
Good luck!
P.S. The dealer charges at least double of what most corner garages do for the same work.

Duane4238 01-27-2018 02:58 PM

So, I just watched a 7 minute video on youtube. It was for a 2008 civic rear speed sensor replace. Your '14 should be the same. The hardest part is taking off the rear wheel.LOL It's a simple job that even my nephew could do with some adult assistance. Watch the video and see for yourself. You'll save a bucket of money, too.
Duane

Meanie 01-27-2018 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Duane4238 (Post 797222)
Get yourself a manual for your year, or look on this forum. All the manuals are available for free download. Then see how difficult it is to do. I wouldn't think it would be difficult at all. There's not much on a rear corner other than a caliper and a disc, and a strut. With a few hand tools I'd think you could replace it in a short time. Oh, also check out youtube. You'll probably be able to watch someone do the job from beginning to end. I've come to the conclusion that everything is now on YouTube!
Duane
Good luck!
P.S. The dealer charges at least double of what most corner garages do for the same work.

Unable to find the manual section for download. Any idea where it is?

Thanks

Meanie 01-27-2018 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Duane4238 (Post 797226)
So, I just watched a 7 minute video on youtube. It was for a 2008 civic rear speed sensor replace. Your '14 should be the same. The hardest part is taking off the rear wheel.LOL It's a simple job that even my nephew could do with some adult assistance. Watch the video and see for yourself. You'll save a bucket of money, too.
Duane

Can you provide the link? I've only found for a 2005 and they call it the ABS sensor? Is it the same thing?

Duane4238 01-28-2018 09:18 AM

For the manuals, start on the HCF home page. Scroll down to General Automotive. Click on Mechanical Problems and Tech Chat. The second thread is a Sticky. It's downloadable Honda factory service manuals. Open that and find the manual you are looking for.
Even easier would be to go to You tube. Type in "2008 civic rear speed sensor replace". Watch the video and then get to work. You'll find that there won't be much, if any, difference between the 08 and your 14. It's much easier to follow a video than to figure out what has to be done by looking at a factory manual. The F.M. assumes the mechanic already knows just about everything and they don't always explain things fully. Good luck and let us know how you do if you tackle this yourself. Really, it's an easy one.
Duane

Meanie 01-28-2018 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Duane4238 (Post 797229)
For the manuals, start on the HCF home page. Scroll down to General Automotive. Click on Mechanical Problems and Tech Chat. The second thread is a Sticky. It's downloadable Honda factory service manuals. Open that and find the manual you are looking for.
Even easier would be to go to You tube. Type in "2008 civic rear speed sensor replace". Watch the video and then get to work. You'll find that there won't be much, if any, difference between the 08 and your 14. It's much easier to follow a video than to figure out what has to be done by looking at a factory manual. The F.M. assumes the mechanic already knows just about everything and they don't always explain things fully. Good luck and let us know how you do if you tackle this yourself. Really, it's an easy one.
Duane

Saw the video. All I can say is wow! Dealer wants $200 for a job that simple. I will be doing it myself. Thank you