Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

I'm new here.. is my engine dead?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Unhappy I'm new here.. is my engine dead?

Wassup yall. I found this place thru a google search, tryin to find out what's wrong with my car, and seeing if my mechanic's diagnosis matches up.

I have a 2000 Civic EX. Engine is D16Y8. Admittedly, I never really took care of my car, so oil changes were pretty infrequent, and prior to my engine croakin on me, it was really low on oil.

So one morning I'm headed out to run some morning errands and about 30 meters from my house, my car's engine just stops. I try to start, and i hear somethin that sounds like dino (from the flintstones) barkin. My neighbor comes out and tries the jumper cables.. no dice.

My mechanic at first said it was the timing belt. So he does the timing belt + water pump job and it still doesn't work. my car is at like 70K, so it was about due for the job anyway.

He then tells me that the crank shaft is not turning, and the way to fix it would be to get a new cylinder head. like a completely assembled cylinder head (about a grand at NAPA).

Does this sound right to you guys? And if he is right, will putting in a new cylinder head fix it? I'd love to have my car back, and not have to get a new car. I think at this point I learned my lesson about taking care of my car.

Thoughts?

Old 01-05-2009, 08:04 AM
HCF Member

I can't say for sure, but one thing I do know, I would not go back to that mechanic. He should show you your old timing belt to see if it was snapped or a tooth or two were snapped. If the timing belt was in good order, then you have other issues. certainly once he replaced everything and it still was not starting, it should have been a good clue that the timing belt was probably not the problem.

can you verify that the timing belt was indeed snapped? If so, then you might be in need of a new engine not just a new head.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:22 AM

well the timing belt wasn't snapped, but it wasn't in good shape. it definitely put the engine out of time.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:23 AM

are there any users on here in the nashville area? are there any mechanics in town you guys recommend? even for an engine swap.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I agree. Don't go back to that guy.

If you hear strange noise from the starter but the crankshaft doesn't turn, it's typically the starter itself. The crankshaft is the bottom shaft in the engine. It connects to the pulley on the left (from the driver's perspective) side that turns the alternator, A/C, etc. So watch that pulley while someone turns the key.

If it doesn't turn the next step would be to see if the engine is seized by trying to turn the crankshaft by hand with a socket wrench on the pulley bolt. While doing this, have the transmission in neutral and the key OFF. The engine could have seized from running without oil. This is a major problem that calls for a new engine. If the engine will turn by hand but not with the starter a new starter should fix that. It is also possible to have stripped teeth on the flywheel. In that case turning the engine slightly by hand so the starter is on a good tooth can allow it to start.

If the timing belt is bad the crankshaft will still turn.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:18 PM
HCF Member

If the Timing Belt failed and Piston Crowns crashed into Open Valves ... I wouldn't put any money into fixing an Engine you have admittedly not maintained very well.
Look for a "Low-miles" Engine from a wrecked car. Junk Yards will sell you an engine that you can SWAP for the dead one. The LABOR on an Engine-Swap will be less than having HOURS add-up rebuilding an engine with a dubious past; anyway.
Need help swapping that Engine out; cheap? Contact the Facullty member IN CHARGE of Auto Shop at a REGIONAL Technical High School and offer them a REAL WORLD situation to tackle instead of just the repetitive work they do on their own cars and the donors they've worked-on a thousand times.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:12 AM

I have a similar situation with my 2000 EX with the D16y8 engine, although I changed my oil regularly, I was driving my civic and all of a sudden I lost power and the car sht down. Had it towed to the house and when I tried to turn it over it would spin but not crank...(Chasetwo) from what I read this is the same issue, have you had any luck dagnosing your problem?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Technoyuppie, are you saying that the starter is able to crank the engine normally but the engine will not start and run?

If so, turn the ignition key to ON(II) and:
1) Listen for whether the fuel pump primes (low humming noise in rear gas tank) for two seconds.
2) Watch the dash for whether the CEL turns ON for two seconds and then turns OFF.

Post the outcome of these two tests. If they are fine, then I'll describe how you check for spark at the plugs.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Default Engine turns

Yes it turns over, but doesn't sound like its turning the engine, it just makes that same high pitch dino sound that Chasetwo was talking about...I haven't listen to hear the fuel pump, or checked the dash...

Old 01-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Recognized HCF Member

More details would help. So the starter motor sounds like it's spinning freely and not engaging the engine? Or the starter is spinning and engaging the engine but the turning engine sounds abnormal?

One possibility is that the starter is bad or the gear teeth of the starter or flywheel are stripped. You'll need to pull the starter motor out and inspect it.

Last edited by RonJ; 01-06-2009 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: I'm new here.. is my engine dead?