HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   short shifter (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/short-shifter-94636/)

Conorfab 12-19-2012 07:17 PM

short shifter

I have a 2000 civic lx 4 door. It's got the most sloppy shifting I've encountered. Should I do a short throw shifter to clean it up? If so is it a difficult job?
Conor

cvcrcr99 12-20-2012 04:03 AM

The shifter has nothing to do with it. The bushings are probably worn.

Conorfab 12-20-2012 08:05 AM

Well I plan to replace bushings as well. But is this a difficult job?

cvcrcr99 12-20-2012 10:08 AM

Not difficult. In my opinon, the hardest part is actually getting to the shifter and linkage above the exhaust pipe. It is much easier to just remove the B pipe (but I have removed mine a few times so it is easier - The first time removing exhaust is the worst!)

Conorfab 12-20-2012 11:23 AM

Alright. Nice tips. I'm putting a b&m dual bend in. Have pics up soon

zerojett 12-20-2012 08:39 PM

Also keep note that if it is the transmission grinding, a new shifter won't do anything to help, it will actually make it worse, as a short shifter will "slam" into gears.

That's the short form, anyways.

DC integra stock shifter is a dual bend and can be had for cheap. It has a slightly shorter throw than stock. A slight mod must be done to make it fit, but, it's a really nice upgrade. I've got one in my EF.

Conorfab 12-21-2012 03:43 PM

Good looks on that, now when I change the length of the actual shifter itself will I need to get a new boot as well? And where can I get the DC integra stock shifter?

zerojett 12-21-2012 10:12 PM

I got mine from an auto wrecker. It was like $10 lol. Try ebay, there is probably one on there.

Part number is 54101-ST7-000

Alright so I'm going to assume you haven't had explained what the "throw" of a shifter actually is.

There's 2 distances to worry about. 1 is the shifter length, from the pivot point "ball" to the shift knob. It doesn't affect throw, just the height of the shifter.

The throw is the distance from the pivot point "ball" and the lower bushing/where it connects to the shift linkage.

greater distance between pivot ball and bushing = less travel for the knob from gear to gear. since there is a shorter throw, people tend to shift faster, which can wear out the gear synchros in the tranny much faster.

having a shifter sitting on your floor won't help you. I laugh at the guys around here that cut the stock shifter and glue on a knob... it's just dumb, doesn't help anything.

this link explains it better DIY Integra GSR Shifter install into Civic - D-series.org i hope that link is allowed lol

I had to stretch my shift boot a bit. It's funny, I have an integra center console w/ shift boot, as well as my integra shifter, and it stretched the boot! lol...

Good ole Legos.... err... Hondas. :P