Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Sitting for a year no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 11:42 AM
HCF Member

No when i turn it over the whining is less but still no start there is no noise besides metal moving when turning the crankshaft. maybe ill take a new vid

heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy9aCrOln3I

Last edited by RedSno; 12-13-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: vid
Old 12-13-2010, 12:25 PM
HCF Member

idk but that still doesnt sound good. Sounds like he sold you a car with a blown motor.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:47 PM
HCF Member

As far as I can see, the difference between last video and this is either left tire is on or off. Also, it seems like the battery is run down. If you would, take another video with spark plugs off and turning the crankshaft by HAND. The pulley you want to turn is where you are pointing to. If it is making sound like metal is moving in that condition, I would like to hear it.

There is no sense in turning the engine by starter motor at this time. It may cause more harm to the engine.

I hope you have a battery charger available to you.

English is not my first language, so if you could type properly, I will have better understanding of what you are saying. Thanks.

Last edited by maachan513; 12-13-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:46 PM
HCF Member

Okay so i got it started today via push start after i turned it off i took the valve cover off and there is like white goo with the consistency of oil another thing is it wont idle in neutral it will stall out. I don't believe the motor is blown or else it wouldn't drive me around the block right? When i said there was a metal sound i meant it was like the ratchet moving no whine or anything.

Attached Thumbnails Sitting for a year no start-dsc02788.jpg  
Old 12-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That looks like a large amount of water (coolant) in the oil. Is the same stuff on the dipstick now? Coolant gets into the oil because the head gasket is bad or the engine block or head is cracked.

The grinding noise would have been stripped gears in the starter. Testing the starter on the bench not coupled to an engine does not necessarily show that. It needs to be replaced as you can push start but not with the starter.

But do NOT run the engine any more with contaminated oil like that.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:41 PM
HCF Member

There is no grinding noise and the car starts without being pushed(using ignition) how would i check if the block is cracked? drove down the road knocking a little bit could that be cause of wrong octane? or is it a bent rod? also after the 2nd drive around the block the oil on the dipstick looks alot more like oil. the white fluid im thinking is more like water i could be wrong. the block was smoking when i stopped. Maybe because my neighbor put oil in my spark plugs? i also cleaned out the iacv, yet to see if it idles i dont wanna start it anymore till i get new oil/headgasket.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Is the radiator full?

If the stuff on the dipstick doesn't look like oil, it's not going to work like oil either.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:12 PM
HCF Member

yeah the radiator is full and i just checked the dipstick and its just normal oil however under the valve cover there is still all that white fluid

Old 12-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Oil should be being pumped up to the cam area. Directly under the camshaft there should be a pool of oil. Is it good oil?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:19 PM
HCF Member

like the area where i took the picture before?

Quick Reply: Sitting for a year no start