Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No ac/ power sterring? why..?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:01 PM
HCF Member
Default No ac/ power sterring? why..?

so i keep hearing about people pulling the power steering and a/c out fo there car. Is there really any noticeable diffrence doing this. I mean i never use my a/c anyways cuz i hate sapping the power/mpg.s for it. so..
1) how much weight would i lose off my car
2) Does the a/c even when off sap power from the car?
3) does anyone have riding problems with no power steering on?
4) How much power does power steering sap from the engine?

i kno wwhen the power steering went out in my 81 z28 turnining in parking lots was a ****... is it even noticebal in a little civic though?

Old 05-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: No ac/ power sterring? why..?

well most the time its due to motor swaps and the parts not fiting up or people put a turbo in the car and there isnt enough room..

as to power steering removal... then you need to swap the whole steering rack for a manual one to be safe.....
i dont think there is much weight to the parts to help much if anything. but if you just want it free up atiny bit of power you can always just take off the belt off the AC. not worth it to me....

Old 05-15-2008, 03:48 PM
HCF Member

My '97 DX has no power steering, and I love it. Feels a lot more connected to the road, and the slightest movement of the wheel makes a change in the direction of the car. The downside however, is that uneven road surfaces can sometimes jerk the wheel around a bit, and it is a PITA to parallel park with wide performance tires/rims. Basically you just have to keep your pimp hand strong on the wheel when you're driving. Unless you have the stock tires/rims, then its not so bad.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:47 PM
HCF Member

Manual steering rack? not sure what you mean by this...i have a manual car...im sure this has nothing to do with auto/manual tranys cuz ever civic ive seen is a floorshifter.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:19 PM
HCF Member

I think Addiction is talking about swapping out your POWERsteering rack for a manual steering rack. I know on some vehicles the valving inside is different but I'm not sure if Hondas are like that. Its probably best to check into it a bit more. You might loose a couple pounds by removing your powersteering pump and AC compressor (along with all the related hardware) but unless you have the tools to do it yourself (cracking open an AC line releases the refrigerant into the air, real bad for the environment and nasty fine if you're busted doing it - not a good idea) its probably not going to gain you much in the long run. Best idea is just remove the belts if you're going to do this.