Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 Civic starting problem....tried everything

Old 12-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Default 94 Civic starting problem....tried everything

Greetings! Ive got a 1994 Civic (base model--DX?) with the 1.5L and a5 speed with 210k miles. A week ago I drove it about 70 miles on the interstate in about 40 degree weather. It ran fine. Once I got to the stop light off of my exit it started idling very rough and was very sluggish to accelerate, once I got to 25mph it was fine. I had to stop at another stop light and the same thing happened--thought it was going to die. As I accelerated it was very sluggish and LOTS of white smoke came out of the tailpipe. Once I got to 25mph, it was fine and the smoke stopped. The temperature gauge was also very high.

We started doing a little work and found out it was very low on coolant--no external leaks--Im very keen on keeping up with fluids. Took the plugs out--a couple looked as though they needed replaced--which I did--though last tune up was two and a half years ago and have only driven 25K miles since. Checked compression--seemed fine, which would negate a head-gasket issue. Although I did have to take valve cover and rockers off to get part of the compression gauge out (dont ask). Realized a couple of seals and gaskets needed to be replaced. Had to order them.

A week later I put the new seals and gaskets in, hooked everything back up and started it up--fired right up though we heard a noise that sounded like a foreign object was in it. I immediately shut it off and we took the valve cover back off to check for foreign objects. Couldnt find anything. Tried starting it up again, and it wouldnt turn over.

We've checked EVERYTHING. Pulled the plugs and grounded them while trying to start--all four get spark. As you turn the key--you can hear the fuel pump and smell gas in the combustion chambers with the plugs out. The battery is fine. I replaced the starter a year ago. When I took the rockers off I did not disturb the cam shaft or timing belt, and we did take the top cover off timing belt area and it seems fine. Ended up replacing the wires, cover, and rotor button. Same thing. It tries to start, we are getting fuel, we are getting spark. I also have no check engine light on.

It just kills me because it did start for a second, then 10 minutes later--nothing. Ive scoured this forum and others and found 'similar' issues, but nothing like this. PLEASE help! Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Chubby Chaser

have you put a little gas into the tb and tried to start it?

Old 12-05-2010, 01:22 AM

im guessing idle air control valve...maybe a good cleaning and you'll see a differance
you could hav bad carbon deposits on it..

Old 12-05-2010, 04:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Low coolant, misfiring, white smoke, "foreign object" (hydrolocked) all point to a bad head gasket.

It takes a huge leak in the gasket before a compression test is affected. You could do a leakdown test and look for air to bubble in the radiator. That "foreign object" could have been one of the valves breaking, try compression test again. Only one dead cylinder makes these engines very hard to start.

Also whenever doing a compression test disconnect the 2-wire power plug to the distributor so the coil doesn't fire. Firing into an open circuit is bad for it.

Last edited by mk378; 12-05-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:03 AM

Thanks for the ideas. We did try starting fluid in the throttle body with no results. I'd hate to think head gasket, as the oil was not foamy or milky. I was low almost 3/4 of a gallon of coolant, which when mixed with only 3.5 quarts of oil, i think we would have noticed a difference in the oil almost immediately. Thanks everyone and I'll report back shortly. I think we're gonna break down and take it to the shop tomorrow.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Head gasket denial... it runs deep... Your coolant likely went out the tailpipe. Coolant in the oil doesn't always happen either.