Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

need help bad idle problom

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Default need help bad idle problom

i got a 95 civic ex civic with a d 16 z 6 engine.when im at a stop light. my idle drops n raises about a grand or so.up n down up n down. its anoying, soon as i take of its goes away.or when im about to stop.i put the cluch in its starts up again.it seems to only do it when its warms up.or when its hott out or ive been driving a while.i do notice that my temp is fine .but i know my fan dont work.for the radieator.i havent found that problom yet.ive cheket all my fuses too.but im just wanting to fix the idle.none of the things me and my friends have tried has workt.we did the following so far in used parts....Iac valve,,,intake manifold..throddle body,,tried to clean the o2 sensor,,tried to clean all sensors.like TPS SENSOR.flusht the cooling system..some won told me it was mabie the TPS SENSOR.ON THE THRODDLE BODY????i do got orbix plug wires that r over sized.also an AEM V 2 AIR INTAKE.but ive hade that on the car long befor thise idle thing started..no won seems to know ..short of me taking it to a shop to find out 500 dollors out of my poket ..i hate shops ..plz help me ..

Old 04-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: need help bad idle problom

Is the CEL ON?

Check the Fast Idle Valve:

Name:  screenshot_01a.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  90.2 KB

Old 04-16-2008, 10:32 AM

to ron. yes some times the engine light comes on .but if i turn off the car then restart it it goes off..also my friend took that part off and opend it up and tightend the plunger in the valve snuggly..was that bad???it idled bad before he did that.....???

Old 04-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Did you do the test with your finger over the port? When the engine is warm and the fast idle valve is working properly, putting your finger over the port will have no effect.

Also when you put the valve back on, are all the o-rings in place? It could be a vacuum leak anywhere. Anything that lets excessive air into the engine will cause the idle speed to increase out of control of the ECU.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:46 AM

yes i tested the valve its working properly,and all seals r in place..

Old 04-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: crazzyyj

yes some times the engine light comes on .but if i turn off the car then restart it it goes off..
Here's how to retrieve the CEL code:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557

After pulling the code, reset the ECU to see whether the same code(s) repeat. Any repeated codes may help you figure out the problem.

also my friend took that part off and opend it up and tightend the plunger in the valve snuggly..was that bad???it idled bad before he did that.....???
Are you saying the idle is improved after taking apart the FIV? If not, it may help to clean it.