Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

strong engine braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Default strong engine braking

I have a low mileage 05 civic and while changing the oil I I idled the engine with no oil for about 20 seconds (don't know why I did it). No lights on dash and no computer error codes. The only change I've seen is fairly strong engine braking (car slows down some) when throttle is closed after taking my foot on the accelerator at any speed most of the time. Itsometimesjerks as well when the throttle closes, vibrating the car. There are no leaks on the pavement but possibly some seepage from the top of engine. Could I have messed up the EFI or TPS sensor or made thetimingslip?There are no unusual noises and engine performs basically like new.Should I geta compression check or check it at an independent mechanic somewhere?

Old 09-26-2007, 03:26 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: strong engine braking

the possibilities of what could be messed up are endless. I'm suprised you didn't spin a rod bearing and toss the rod through the block[:@]

You made a big mistake.... I highly suggest running a compression and leakdown test to see just how bad you screwed up your motor.

why in the perfect hell would you even consider doing this?!

Old 09-26-2007, 06:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The bearings are the most vulnerable part, for them 20 seconds without oil is a major thing.

When you let completely off the gas with the car in gear at speed, the ECU simply cuts all the fuel off and lets it spin.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:57 PM

I am with forty04 on that, why did you run the engine with no oil. I ALWAYS make a point to double check myself by checking the dipstick before I ever even put the key near the ignition after an oil change... I have a tendancy to be a bit absent minded at times, so I try to be extra careful.... but that would definately be a good habbit for you to adopt in the future. I even go so far as to put fresh oil in the new filter prior to installing it, so as to avoid even the slightest 'dry' start.

Further more, why did the engine even run for 20 seconds with no oil pressure, you mean to tell me there is no low oil pressure safety mechanism on an 05 civic??? no warning light or anything??? My dad had a 79 Buick skyhawk that had an oil pump go bad, it started and idled, then the oil pressure dropped, the oil light came on, it shut off instantly... replaced the pump. ran fine... it had a safety switch/sensor on it, and cut power to the coil which killed the engine... a 79 Buick has that, but an 05 civic doesn't, what gives with that???

Another point... with no oil that motor should/would have been raising hell... it would have been tapping noticably...

Yeah, you might have just cost yourself one low mileage 05 civic engine... bearings and crank might just be toast, not to mention the cam, rockers, and valves... Could have caused damage to the rings as well, although the other stuff mentioned is far more likely, and usually asymptomatic until it's too late...

as far as "engine Braking" caused by that... i dunno about that... I guess if somehting was damaged there would be more friction, and thus when it is just 'free spinning' not actually under power, there would be more resistance, and it would slow faster.... but if that's the case, something is really screwed up...

Just my $.02