HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Takes 5+ secs to crank, starts, and then runs fine? HELP! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/takes-5-secs-crank-starts-then-runs-fine-help-86146/)

Chris236Mich 11-01-2010 04:59 PM

Takes 5+ secs to crank, starts, and then runs fine? HELP!

1993 Honda Civic, 1.6 Liter, 4 cyclinder, 130,000 miles.

Turn the key to ON and CEL turns on and off. Go to start, no crank for at least five seconds, and then the engine turns over quickly and runs great. Just started doing this in the last two days, getting worse, and requiring longer before the engine will crank and start. The car will then start fine until it sits for a few hours and problems repeat.

Also, it has started getting down to freezing for the first time as this problem begun.

I’ve read through the required stuff and seen it maybe the fuel filter or fuel screen. The fuel pump turns on and off and seems fine. I’m going to test the battery soon too.

In the last year the igniter, coil, starter and plugs have been replaced. Vehicle was running great before this.

Any other ideas fellas?????

Chris236Mich 11-01-2010 05:08 PM

Also, the gas tank is full.

RonJ 11-01-2010 05:12 PM

By no crank, you mean that the starter does not turn the engine, right? If so, the starter may be failing. Run a wire from the + battery post to the starter solenoid with the transmission in neutral. Is there still a delay in the starter cranking the engine?

maachan513 11-01-2010 05:27 PM

I think it is a weak/old battery.

Make sure that big cable from battery (+) post to the starter is in good condition and connection. A slight resistance on the cable means large current draw and the starter would have hard time turning.

Also, if you have an access to a voltmeter, measure the cranking voltage across battery posts while your starter is cranking. You should see 9v or better. If you don't, your battery is a suspect.

BurningRubber 11-01-2010 06:00 PM

A weak battery would not have a delay and then start the car normally. You might want to check all of the grounds for corrosion along with the battery terminals. Could also be that the ignition switch is faulty.

During the delay in starting do the headlights dim?

maachan513 11-02-2010 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by BurningRubber (Post 740746)
A weak battery would not have a delay and then start the car normally. You might want to check all of the grounds for corrosion along with the battery terminals. Could also be that the ignition switch is faulty.

During the delay in starting do the headlights dim?

On my customer's airplane with recip engine with 12V starter, I had to stay on on starter button for a few second to have it rotate. Changed the battery with new and that problem was solved.

chris236mich2 11-02-2010 08:41 AM

This is chris23mich. For whatever reason they won't let me post under my original name.

RONJ, yes, I mean the starter isn't turning the engine. Push the key forward, nothing, cranks and then engine fires quickly. I'm currently away at college with no tools, but will try running the wire this weekend at my parents house.

I'll also check the grounds and battery.

The car started right away this morning after sitting in the sun in 40 degree weather. Only time it has problems is when it sits in the cold for to long. Last night, after sitting in the cold for awhile, it took quite a few attempts before the engine turned over.

Thanks for the help!

chris236mich2 11-02-2010 08:46 AM

Burning Rubber, no, the headlights do not dim. I turned on the windshield wipers too without the engine running and they worked fine too.

RonJ 11-02-2010 08:49 AM

I think all the advice given in your thread is good.

-check the battery charge
-make sure the battery and starter connectors, as well as the G3 transmission ground, are clean and tight
-the test I suggested was an attempt to rule out a problem from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid

chris236mich2 11-02-2010 10:08 AM

Just got back from Autozone. Tested the alternator, battery, and starter and there all fine.

RONJ, the ignition switch to the starter solenoid test is next. Sadly, it'll have to wait until Thursday when I have the materials to do it.

I'll keep ya'll updated.