Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Throttle cut off, car coasted to a stop, rumbled, died, won't start now.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:51 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
If you're seeing oil around the back right corner of the valve cover area make sure it's not coming from the VTEC solenoid. There is oil under pressure there and it will leak like crazy should the gasket blow.
Oil was only ever leaking from the two front corners of the valve cover, thats why I pulled it in the first place. The guy who did my HG job obviously did a **** job sealing the valve cover gasket. But when resealing the valve cover the back left bolt busted off in the head.

Just got out of class and picked up new bolts and valve seals, now I'm working on finding an extension for the thread tap, one long and narrow enough to fit down into the 1/4 inch hole in the head through the top of the valve cover. then gonna thread it and insert the helicoil. If that fails for whatever reason, I'll fill the hole with jb weld and drill another 1/4 inch hole tomorow and start again.

But I guess if worse comes to worse, I can drive the car with only 4 bolts, I'll just torque em like 5 inch lbs more than the specs say and I'll just silicone the **** out the back left corner and the back side of the engine, and I'll silicone the broken bolt in place on the valve cover so no oil shoots out.

Side note...I was under the car the other day cleaning the oil pan and transaxle up because there was oil all over the bottom of them from the leaking valve cover...after polishing the oil pan super clean, an hour later, I noticed oil seeping down the timing side of the engine. I can't tell where its coming from tho, could be the main seal, but idk, its pretty dark with all those parts crammed in right there. I'll post a pic in a minute.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:02 PM
HCF Member

This is directly underneath the timing belt cover.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:18 AM
HCF Member
Default VTEC and leak

+1 what MK said. That VTEC will leak copious amounts of oil. The sealing kit for the spool valve is cheap and easily fixed. Also, when replacing the head it is important that a small dollop of gasket sealer be placed near the cam seal as well as the opposite side. It makes a contiguous line.

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx