Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Thud/Knocking noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Default Thud/Knocking noise when turning

i own a 2003 Honda Civic LX sedan and damn i love that car..about a month after purchasing it, i was in an accident (this woman ran me off the road) and there was damage to the front drivers side from hood-fender.
after repair from the collision center where i purchased my civic, sometimes when i make a turn while holding the steering wheel in the turning position..there is this loud thud or knocking noise coming from the front drivers side...i can feel it through the steering wheel and brake pedal.
it has been to the repair shop 4 times for a total of 3 months and they cannot find the problem...last week they added new struts and still makes the noise...can anyone please help me with any ideas/opinions of what this could be? i would appreciate any feedback you guys have..thanks

email: sflaboy25@yahoo.com

Old 05-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Default RE: Thud/Knocking noise when turning

theres to many things it could be when a vehicle was in an accadent. you really cant properly diagnose a noise without hearing it or seeing the vehicle...

Old 05-05-2005, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: sflaboy25@yahoo.com

i own a 2003 Honda Civic LX sedan and damn i love that car..about a month after purchasing it, i was in an (this woman ran me off the road) and there was damage to the front drivers side from hood-fender.
after repair from the collision center where i purchased my civic, sometimes when i make a turn while holding the steering wheel in the turning position..there is this loud thud or knocking noise coming from the front drivers side...i can feel it through the steering wheel and brake pedal.
it has been to the repair shop 4 times for a total of 3 months and they cannot find the problem...last week they added new struts and still makes the noise...can anyone please help me with any ideas/opinions of what this could be? i would appreciate any feedback you guys have..thanks

Well, I to break it to ya like this, but youve been f!@#ed. Park your car turn your wheel all the way to the left or right(doesn't matter as long as you can see inside the wheel well). look for a CV boot that it is ripped or torn and look for grease all over the place. If you find what I listed above, It's a bad CV boot and the axle needs to be replaced. Happened three times to me on three different vehicles. I sounds like someone rolling a severely chipped bowling ball when you turn. Good luck. Hope your mechanics aren't screwing you

Old 05-05-2005, 02:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Super Mario

ORIGINAL: sflaboy25@yahoo.com

i own a 2003 Honda Civic LX sedan and damn i love that car..about a month after purchasing it, i was in an (this woman ran me off the road) and there was damage to the front drivers side from hood-fender.

Well, I to break it to ya like this, but youve been f!@#ed. Park your car turn your wheel all the way to the left or right(doesn't matter as long as you can see inside the wheel well). look for a CV boot that it is ripped or torn and look for grease all over the place. If you find what I listed above, It's a bad CV boot and the axle needs to be replaced. Happened three times to me on three different vehicles. I sounds like someone rolling a severely chipped bowling ball when you turn. Good luck. Hope your mechanics aren't screwing you

hey Mario thanks...will have to check that when the rain stops...i don't see why they would be f!@king with me because when i brought the car back few weeks ago, i was not charged a thing since the collision center where i took my civic GUARANTEES their work..if it is the problem you described, is it dangerous and need to be taken care of right away?
i am gonna take it to another honda dealer to get their opinion..when i tried speaking to the general manager of the dealership that did the work..he hung up on me!!! and nobody there knows what is going on...i love my Honda, and i thought their mechanics were suppose to be very educated and trained.
thanks again for replying

Old 05-05-2005, 03:17 PM

Anything that isn't how it it should be is dangerous. i've been driving with a ed cv boot for about 10,000 miles now and still going. just saving up to replace both since who know when either of them have been replaced. i have the same issue. That's how I knew what the problem was. If this collission place guarantees their work then you shouldn't have a problem. unless their cust service sucks. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2005, 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Super Mario

Anything that isn't how it it should be is dangerous. i've been driving with a ed cv boot for about 10,000 miles now and still going. just saving up to replace both since who know when either of them have been replaced. i have the same issue. That's how I knew what the problem was. If this collission place guarantees their work then you shouldn't have a problem. unless their cust service sucks. Good luck!
i will have them replaced then!! 3 months and they couldn't find the problem?! they do have major cust. service problems....they all suck there and have big time attitude..thanks

Old 05-05-2005, 05:21 PM
HCF Member

get a second opinion ---if u know any other reliable shop--just ask then to drive it first --then put it up on a lift & look around maybe they will find something the other shop doesnt want to find [:@]