HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Timing Belt and Gasket DIY (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/timing-belt-gasket-diy-92950/)

droopy128 04-12-2012 10:08 PM

Timing Belt and Gasket DIY

3 Attachment(s)
Just pick up most of the parts today, and waiting on the radiator hoses, reason for TB replacement is that coolant is leaking from the timing cover, hopefully the water pump is the culprit, plus it got oil residue everywhere. Don't remember if the engine compartment was ever clean since bought when new, LOL.

So the plan is change out TB, pump, tensioner, valve & pan gasket, dist o-ring, belts, rad hoses and trans fluid, etc..

The only thing done today was cleaning the engine compartment, will work on it tomorrow after work.

Attachment 5596

Attachment 5597

After engine cleaned with GUNK.. a little better

Attachment 5598

More to come..!!

xbesox 04-13-2012 02:41 AM

your engine bay is a crime scene!!

droopy128 04-13-2012 08:40 AM

Car been with the family since the 90's, now my mom driving it. She been bringing it to her mechanic, until I recently found out how much they been charging her, and I was like.. DAYUM.. lol :(

20 SMOKE 04-13-2012 06:04 PM

doesn't look like her mechanic has been doing much,the radiator coolant looks to have never been changed

droopy128 04-13-2012 10:34 PM

33 Attachment(s)
^ Ya.. is all rusted water, will change out another two time and see if get better within the next two weeks. Hope the car will last for another few years, then donation. BTW car has 220k miles so far.

But today finished TB, water pump, new drive belts, valve cover gasket and o-ring on distributor. Skip the oil pan gasket, cuz down pipe bolt was rusted and strip when i try to remove it. So process cont'd..

Attachment 5563

Attachment 5564

Remove valve cover

Attachment 5565

Loosen power steering pump and set aside, and loosen alternator bracket and remove belts

Attachment 5566

Remove steering pump bracket

Attachment 5567

Attachment 5568

Attachment 5569

Turn timing to TDC (top dead center), all d-series have this marking, with 'UP' on top and two side mark (parallel mark) level with head, and pulley mark is line up with 'White' mark.

Attachment 5570

Attachment 5571

Pulley bolt just laugh at this IR impact

Attachment 5572

So bought out my BIG (3/4) gun, set air tank to about 125-130 psi.. BAAMM, came right out. :)

Attachment 5573

Remove bottom cover

Attachment 5574

Attachment 5575

Water seeping from this side weep hole

Attachment 5576

Hook up my engine hanger, cuz don't want to use jack underneath, give me more room at bottom

Attachment 5577

Remove motor mount

Attachment 5578

Remove tensioner and water pump

Attachment 5579

Attachment 5580

Attachment 5581

Reinstall tensioner and pump

Attachment 5582

Then install timing belt, adjust tension, done.. reinstall

Pull out dizzy for seal replacement and reinstall

Attachment 5583

Attachment 5584

Got me wonder if the water pump was change during the previously timing belt replacement, timing belt looks good though, but pump is quite dirty, and whoever did the work didn't even change out the drive/alt belt.. it was all crack and some place missing chunks on those groove.

UPDATE..

Well, the radiator hoses kit came in, order the Mishimoto set.

Attachment 5585

Attachment 5586

And did a rear brake adjustment

Attachment 5587

Attachment 5588

Attachment 5589

Put back the drum and using a flat head screwdriver to expand the tension on the adjuster until you can freely turn about 180 degree, you can feel the resistant, and remember to tap the drum side to side and top/bottom while adjusting.

Then process of replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses and Thermostat.

Removed the fan by disconnect the fan plug and two top bolt on fan housing

Attachment 5590

Attachment 5591

Bottom hose retainer

Attachment 5592

Top hoses thermostat ends, removed two bolts and thermostat is located inside.

Attachment 5593

Attachment 5594

Attachment 5595

Reinstalled..