Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

timing belt and valves

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Default timing belt and valves

this past weekend i was driving and my engine shut off and woulnt start again , i towed it to the closest shop and asked them if they could have a look and tell me what is wrong with it , so i did and they told me my timing belt busted and my valves got bent , saying it was a 1200 $ job , so i took the car home took the insurance off of it and parked it , well tonight i took the valve cover off and was having a look and i never noticed anytyhing out of the ordianry other then a busted timing belt , im no mechanic either but i know where to state an obvious problem . so what im wondering is what i can look for to see if these guys arent trying to get a wack load of money out of me . and if i can just change the timing belt and fix the whole problem

Old 07-07-2005, 01:05 AM
Default RE: timing belt and valves

You can not look at the top of the head and tell if the valves are bent. You will need to do a leak down test to find this out. The odds are VERY good though that at least one valve got hit and is bent. $1200 sounds kind of high, you may want to look around for a used head and just swap it out. Be sure to get it checked out before installing. I just recently purchased a complete D16Y7 for $300. So there are deals out there just look around.

Old 07-07-2005, 02:08 AM

Sounds about right to have the valves bent when the timing belt brakes. THe 1200 is very high but sounds about right for a shop to want out of it and they would get it too if you werent smart enough to do some searching like you did.

Deff look into what 99civic said about a new (used) head, get some head studs and timing belt and viola.

May I also suggest doing your water pump at the same time, how many miles on the clock?

Old 07-08-2005, 12:36 AM

yeah i was looking around today and they said that it might not even bent the valves so on sat im throwing in a new timing belt to check out wat is happening , then if so they said that they are going to buy a new head and get it machined as well as installing a new water pump while they are down there i would love to do it myself but im not experienced with the engine components yet so ill leave it up to a mechanic down the street whos done everything for me , also i was wondering where can i find a website for some engines , i was looking at getting the
B18C5 to throw in my 90 civic

Old 07-08-2005, 11:34 AM
HCF Member

yes just toss on a belt & see what happens ----a few weeks ago i had a kid in the shop with a 98 teg / b18b1 ---blown belt ---put a new 1 on & it ran great! [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 07-08-2005, 09:21 PM

Does happen once in a while. Good luck with it. Truthfully THough since you have a 90, I belive you can pick up a b16 swap for cheap. DOnt think your done there though, that one may still need all the little things added.

Old 07-09-2005, 01:57 AM

ORIGINAL: LEVIII

Does happen once in a while. Good luck with it. Truthfully THough since you have a 90, I belive you can pick up a b16 swap for cheap. DOnt think your done there though, that one may still need all the little things added.
i was thinking of putting in the B18C5 in my engine do u know where i could find info on that engine , im going to drive the car till it dies then put it away for the winter and save up and buy a engine and watever else i need for it because i drive an 87 accord during the winter that is perfectly new with 6k on the engine so i wont have to do repairs on it for a while so i can save big mula , can someone help me out ?

Old 07-09-2005, 06:48 AM

Yeh, someone else on here just recently said that they broke their belt 2X and both times just replaced it and engine ran fine. It's worth a try.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:06 AM

Id check out ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

But I think you may have to switch to and OBD I

unless youd like to go B16B (civic type r)

http://www.passwordjdm.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=134

I like the idea of the CTR personally.

Old 07-10-2005, 03:41 PM

As long as you didn't go nuts trying to crank your engine after it died, there's a good chance your valves are OK. But like everyone else said, the only way to be sure is to put a new belt on it and find out. As for the swap, a B-series in a 4G will cost a pretty penny, regardless of what engine you're talking about. But I also think the CTR motor would be a damn good idea, if you can find a good one.