HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   timing too far advanced (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/timing-too-far-advanced-67028/)

asechrist 06-25-2008 04:03 PM

timing too far advanced

I checked my timing today and the marks were all to the right of the sights even when I rotated the distributor as far as she could go. The red mark is perhaps an inch to the right of where it should be. What will the effects be of being that amount off? I just got the car and I'm not sure that I want to tear into the timing belt unless there is a real problem - I don't really hear or feel any, but I have not yet driven enough to calculate the mpg. It is difficult topull out smoothly in first, but I'm thinking that this is more of a clutch adjustment issue. If I do fix it, is a loose TB the most likely problem? I've seen others saying that the cam may be off a tooth. Is that as likely as the TB being off a tooth (or are they redundant? - I'm a newbie). Thanks

RonJ 06-25-2008 04:07 PM

RE: timing too far advanced

If you are checking the ignition timing with the service connector jumped with a wire and the CEL is not indicating a trouble code, then the timing belt is likely off by one tooth. The timing belt synchronizes the cam and crank at TDC. Being off by a tooth on the timing belt would reduce engine performance.

trustdestruction 06-25-2008 04:12 PM

i think there's probably no damage from it. just bad gas mileage and less power.

first of all, are you positive you are aligning it to the correct mark on the pulley (there is a lone mark, and then there are 3 marks close together. you align it to the center one of those 3 marks)? And do you have the timing light hooked to the #1 cylinder (the one right next to the cam gear)? Are you jumping the service connector?

If you are doing this, and your timing is still this off, it is possible that the cam gear is off a tooth or so. It could have skipped, or if it has been replaced before it might not have been set to top dead center.

asechrist 06-25-2008 05:03 PM

Thanks for the responses. So, please pardon my ignorance if this is a dumb question, but is saying that the cam may be off by one tooth and saying that the timing belt may be off by one tooth essentially the same thing? (I did do the steps correctly as described above).

RonJ 06-25-2008 05:12 PM

ORIGINAL: asechrist

...is saying that the cam may be off by one tooth and saying that the timing belt may be off by one tooth essentially the same thing?
Yes. By the way, it's fine to ask basic questions.

asechrist 06-25-2008 05:42 PM

Thanks Ron, sometimes the learning curve looms very large. If I do go about the job of correcting this, I assume that I will need to pull the car apart as I would if I were going to replace the belt. And in that case, I should probably just go ahead and change it? If so (and I'm still hoping I'll be lucky enough that you'll tell me I don't need to do all of that), what all should I replace?

trustdestruction 06-25-2008 05:48 PM

if you have to pull it that far apart you should change it. also change your water pump and timing belt tensioner.

asechrist 06-25-2008 06:23 PM

Would I need to pull it that far apart, though, to correct the problem if the TB has skipped a tooth?

RonJ 06-25-2008 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: asechrist

Would I need to pull it that far apart, though, to correct the problem if the TB has skipped a tooth?
Yes. As mentioned by trustdestruction, you may as well replace the water pump and tensioner while you're at it.

Prior to removing the old timing belt, carefully inspect it until you can verify and recognize that it is one tooth out of synch from TDC for the cam and crank. This will also help you to install the new belt perfectly at TDC for both the cam and crank. Also, be careful reinstalling the water pump bolts as they are easily broken and stripped.

cpreston 11-21-2016 08:50 PM

First I have to say this is an excellent forum and has served me very well as I replaced my head gasket & timing belt on a 1997 Honda Civic. I have shorted the service plug and I've verified my idle speed is within, although I will say it is on the low end. (It says 750 RPM +- 50 and I'm right at 700.)

I have exactly the same thing as this poster from eight years ago. In fact, I can tell you I'm 12' off, as that's how far I have to advance the timing in order to get the middle of the three lines to line up.

I'm guessing I'm also off a tooth on my timing belt. My question is this: which WAY am I off by a tooth? Should I move the camshaft sprocket clockwise or counterclockwise one tooth?