HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Vtec Light Problems (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/vtec-light-problems-68206/)

jakeirwin87 07-27-2008 11:01 AM

Vtec Light Problems

I have a 97 civic hx D16y8 and i'm trying to wire a led to my vtec. i mounted the led in my guage pod and routed the wires to the ecu, connected positive to the green and yellow stripe, and the neg. to ground. i go to 6K rpm's and nothing happends. any ideas?

trustdestruction 07-27-2008 12:03 PM

RE: Vtec Light Problems

when i wired my VTEC light i ran into a problem similar to this one. i have a Del Sol, and wasn't expecting any differences since it is basically the same as a civic, just a different body style, but it turned out that my wires are colored differently. I followed the DIY instructions and paid close attention to wiring colors to make sure i didn't tap into the yellow with green stripe (fuel pump) wire, and made sure i tapped into the green with yellow stripe, and it turned out that in my Del Sol, ironically the green with yellow stripe was for the fuel pump in my car. This being said, your wire color has the possibility of being the wrong color too. My VTEC wire turned out to be orange with a white stripe once i figured it out. Make sure that the wire you are tapping into is A4 on the harness which is on the bottom row of wires on the harness, 2nd from the front of the car (when it's plugged into the ecu).

If it turns out that you do have it wired correctly, then test the LED light to make sure it works by hooking it up to a constant 12V source. If it doesn't turn on, your LED is faulty.

jakeirwin87 07-27-2008 12:10 PM

hey, thanks for the reply, yeah i tested the LED already and the led is fine but i'm going to check out the others wires you said.

jakeirwin87 07-27-2008 12:25 PM

well i couldn't find the orange and white stripe wire.... and what plug were you talking about on the ecu? here is a pic of mine...
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/4547/myecuhm7.jpg

trustdestruction 07-27-2008 12:46 PM

dont use the orange and white wire, i was just stating my problem as an example of wire color differences.
im not sure about the wire to tap into actually, because i just realized your car is a 97, which uses OBD2 rather than OBD1. The position of the VTEC wire on the harness is probably completely different

trustdestruction 07-27-2008 12:46 PM

also, are you sure of what engine you have? because a civic HX doesn't have a D16Y8, it has a D16Y5, which is still VTEC, just a different kind of VTEC. The only way you could have a D16Y8 is if you have an EX, or have had the engine swapped to a D16Y8.

jakeirwin87 07-27-2008 12:56 PM

yeah i ment the y5 which is the v-tec E. and a diagram shows vtec being A8 on the ECU which is the green wire with yellow stripe that i have tested over and over and over again. and the led is tested and works so i just don't know what else to try. maybe my vtec is messed up or maybe it doesn't work with Vtec E?...........

trustdestruction 07-27-2008 12:58 PM

it should work with VTEC-E. i think your VTEC isn't working for some reason. i'm not sure how to tell whats wrong or if its not working.

jakeirwin87 07-27-2008 10:18 PM

ok well i got it to work, my oil level was just a little bit to low so the vtec wasn't kicking in, and i didn't have a resistor on the led before so the first one blew up in pieces haha

trustdestruction 07-27-2008 10:21 PM

ORIGINAL: jakeirwin87

ok well i got it to work, my oil level was just a little bit to low so the vtec wasn't kicking in
yep that'll do it

good to hear you got it working. one advantage of the VTEC light is being able to tell when VTEC is functioning properly. lol. you probably wouldn't have noticed it not working without the VTEC light. lol.