Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

What is going on here??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Default What is going on here??

I bought my first car, a 2002 Honda Civic EX about 4 months ago. I was pretty stoked, Ilove thempg and the sizeof the car.It was at 58,000 miles and I got it used for $9,000. It has a clean carfax report.But,I have been having multiple problems lately and its been bumming me out. Everything was finefor a while and it seemd like after I came back from vacationthese problems kept poping up. I'm not too car savy and would like some general advice on whats going on and what to doif anyone would be willing to help out.

1. SRS light is usually on and the ABS light comes on often
2. It starts hard often
3. When in park the car will shake as it were dying and the lights dim (couple times)
4. A few times when hitting the gas the car doesnt respond.

I dont know if these are related problems or common problems. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I need all the help I can get!

Old 10-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Default RE: What is going on here??

The ABS light could be on cause the sensor is dirty, but with everything together there might be a ground issue possibly causing bad ignition and spark, or your alternator could be pooched and trying so hard that its bringing the engine down a bit with it.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:07 PM

For #1, the manual says if the "SRS light comes on in combination with a failure of another electrical system, check for damage/corrosion at the under-dash fuse box connector." Before you do anything with the SRS system, be sure to disconnect the battery negative cable, then the positive cable. Remove the access panel from the steering wheel, then remove the short connector (red). Disconnect the connector between the airbag and cable reel, then connect the short connector (red) to the airbag.

#2, 3, and 4 could be related to the fuel system. Maybe a clogged fuel filter, clogged fuel injector(s), or maybe a bad fuel pump.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:22 PM
HCF Member

1.) SRS= more likely you'r air bags are disconnected. ABS (automatic Brake system) when light comes on it could be so many factors.....low brake fluid then abs light comes and works. it's a back up reserve just in case master brake cylinder fails. ABS is running LOW on fluid.. ABS fuse relays going bad. The whole ABS might be going BAD!!!

2.) Have you changed the following item's
* Fuel filter.....Air filter.....Spark plugs but only use NGK. Cap and rotor make sure they are OEM from DEALER or if not NGK is more than better. Don't mess with other brands for spark plugs,rotor or cap.

**** I doubt it it's your alternator, Because my 94 Accord has a little more than 150,000 Miles still with OEM original one from factory. It runs like a champ.. Dealer tested it and it still gives the right VOLTS....Your alternator should be fine you only have 58,000 miles or go to Auto Zone they will test It out for FREE!!!!

3 & 4.) Seems similar what happened to my 1994 Accord Ex. *****when on park coming to a stop or driving it theinterior dash andout-side lightswill all dimm down and then I tried to HIT the gas and the car wouldn't respond. ABS light kept coming on and off.

Took it to the dealer they thought it was the alternator but like I said it turned out to be fine. It had a intermitant problem with the main fuse box inside the car. That was the problem for my car...Let me know????

Old 10-18-2007, 05:35 PM

I decided to take the car to a dealer to get fixed. I know, I know, its going to cost a lot... but I really dont have any idea how to change a spark plug, disconnect the access panel, or even change the oil! I figure its better to have it done right than half assed.I havent had anyone everteach me the basics about cars in general. None! I would like to learn though and I have been researching different car parts and their purpose. I bought fuel injector cleaner.I can tell you what an alternator does now. I can tell you its good toshut your car stero off before you turn your car off. But, I will post the results from the dealer just so you guys know for the future..

Old 10-18-2007, 06:06 PM

First thing to always check when ABS light is on is fluid level.. beyond that it's not something you can fix, and you should have it checked for trouble codes... Low fluid level will make the ABS light come on, and if you do not have ABS it will make the brake light come on...

As for the other stuff... if there's ever a chance of corrosion or somethign on a connector that is causing the problem, pull it off and spray some WD-40 in it, and plug it back in... wont harm a thing, that's what WD-40 was designed for. if that doesn't fix it that wasn't the problem... I have fixed a few intermittent connection prblems like that, mostly with my turn signal bulbs that got corroded... WD-40 does the trick...

It sounds as though you need a tune up, or have an air/fuel delivery problem, as was already mentioned...

I think you did the right thing based on what you say your knowledge level is...

Don't worry though, if you hang around here long enough, and pay attention you'll learn... Just read and read and read some more... That's what I do, and also don't be affraid to ask questions... most of the guys on here would be glad to answer any questions you have... Oh the most valuable resource you can get, besides the internet of course, is a haynes manual... it will give you trouble shooting tips, as well as step by step directions for any repairs you need to do... It will also help you understand your car and how everything works...

Old 10-18-2007, 06:09 PM
HCF Member

damn.... you should have just taken the car to autozone to test the alternator first.... with a possible elecrical problem always check grounds/ connections first! then get you batt and alt. checked at the nearest autozone
- keep us posted though

Old 10-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Cat Fuсker

good luch with the stealership....yyou must ahve deep pockets

Old 10-19-2007, 09:35 AM

Yeah I have deep pockets, which is why I bought a used Honda.

Ok here whats going on...

1. There are a lot of bad grounds that need to bed fixed. That will cost $180
2. The entire SRS Unit is bad and needs to be replaced. $535.00
3. They think the car was in an accident because the cooing fan/motor and shroudis off where ever its supposed to be. That will cost $436.00

Also, get this one, the vin numbers under the hood, under the engine, and on other partsarent there. They arevisableon other easy to spot parts though.I'm not sure what this exactlymeans. Like someone took them off, is this black market stuffcould someone explain this?

The bad grounds and Cooling unit seem like major things, but can I get away without the SRS unit, or is that something extremely necessary. What do you guys think? What do I really need to get fixed.?

Old 10-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If you crash while the SRS light is on, there is a very good chance the air bags will not inflate. That may or may not be a bad thing.

Did they check if air bags are actually present in the car, or have they been replaced with dummy covers after it wrecked?

If the air bags are gone and/or the VIN has been tampered with, your state's AG may be interested in criminal charges against the seller. In any case you should get your money back.

Quick Reply: What is going on here??