Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

What's wrong with my car? (audio recording inside)

Old 11-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Default What's wrong with my car? (audio recording inside)

Ok guys, I bought this Honda Civic 2005, and I only noticed this after I bought it, when I test drove it -- I didn't hear it..

my friend tells me it's a Wheel Balance problem...

if you have headphones, put them on as you'll be able to hear it better.

Vibration by sixamsedna on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

listen carefully to 0:10 - 0:16 and 0:42 - 0:46

it's this vibrating/pulsating sound.. it's not a Wheel Bearing problem, that one is a totally different noise, I'm thinking this is Wheel Balance myself, but I'm not that knowledgeable about cars anyway.

What do you all think it is?

Also I might add that the car is out of alignment...it pulls to the right, could it all be causing it?

Old 11-12-2011, 09:59 AM

...Noone has any idea? or 41 people didn't even listen to the clip? How hard...

Old 11-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Pulling to one side, start by checking the tire pressures. A soft tire will pull to that side. Also tires may not be round. This can be checked by driving slowly on a flat, level surface. Bad tires may have a "once around" wobble felt in the steering wheel.

The "what is this noise" complaint is very hard to diagnose online. Generally the first step is to have someone listen outside the car to try to localize where it is coming from.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
Pulling to one side, start by checking the tire pressures. A soft tire will pull to that side. Also tires may not be round. This can be checked by driving slowly on a flat, level surface. Bad tires may have a "once around" wobble felt in the steering wheel.

The "what is this noise" complaint is very hard to diagnose online. Generally the first step is to have someone listen outside the car to try to localize where it is coming from.
Pulling to the side is most definitely an alignment problem. I know this for sure, I need it fixed..I just mentioned it because I didn't know if it goes hand in hand with the noise.

I will record a better recording...the noise IS there, on the moments I specified. It's this pulsating/vibrating sound. And it really is annoying because it gets louder the faster I drive.

My friend told me it's a wheel balancing issue, again, I'm not a pro - but if he says it is so (and I heard it in his car too, but it's LESS noticeable) then I guess the noise I'm describing and which you can hear in the recording should be known by more than one person?