Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

trouble with the engine control system.. A/C related

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 03:03 PM
Default trouble with the engine control system.. A/C related

ok,
i finally bought a haynes repair manual for my 96 civic ex, and for three blazing texas summers i drove around thinking i needed to replace my A/C compressor. did i mention my driver side window had that falling off the track issue and i couldnt roll it down and this summer my passenger window stopped functioning as well? (good thing i had a sun roof - which when open in the day made it even more uncomfortable because of the blazing texas sun beating down on my face and head)

so anyway..

after just being ignorant and cheap, i get the repair manual. i do some checking with my multimeter and it turns out that my clutch isnt engaging because the engine control unit isnt putting out a signal to make the a/c clutch relay supply my a/c clutch with an on signal!

i tested the ECS with the multimeter and it does not react the way it should when my a/c switch is activated. the fan in the engine bay activates so i know the switch is working like it should according to the A/c electrical diagram provided in my new Civic bible.

is there anything that can be done in this type of situation with my ECS? does this sound like a repairable issue? or am i goin to need to buy an entirely new EngineControlSystem?

some more details..

my engine had been replaced years ago, before my a/c went out, and many of you know that EX (coups) generally have some type of Vtech, but when i had my engine replaced the dudes put in the d 1 6 y7 or non v tech in. I didnt realize it for quite some time afterwards - i didnt th9ink it would have been something they would do, and it was cheap.

the ECS is for an A31 will this still work properly with my non vtech engine? everything works fine for me, but could this have anything to do with my A/C issue?