New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hi Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Default Hi Everyone!

I just got my first Civic - a white 2018 LX Coupe with a manual transmission. I love it.

Here's how I got to where I am now.

For years I was a loyal Hyundai driver. I bought my first new car, a 2002 Accent, for just over $8,000. It was basic, for sure, but I got over 8 years of worry-free driving out of that car. Unfortunately I was hit while stopped at a light and the car was totaled. I'd been so happy with my Accent that I didn't even shop around. I went right back to Hyundai and got a 2010 Accent. This time I treated myself to a higher trim level, and I liked nearly everything about the car. But it was not the worry-free ride that my first Accent had been. There were a couple of chronic problems (alignment, for one) and the car ended up dying for good two months before I paid it off. That soured me on Hyundai so I started to look around, but I was under the gun so I couldn't do as much research as I'd have liked.

I ended up with a 2016 Fit. There was no stick available, so I got the CVT. What a great car. Overnight I became a loyal Honda driver. The Fit was better than the Accent in just about every conceivable way. And it just had a feeling of quality that the Hyundai lacked. But as much as I liked the fit, a couple of minor things started to annoy. The first was that I missed driving a stick. Honda's CVT is a lot better than I was expecting it to be, but I still just missed driving a stick. The second - and I'm embarrassed to admit that this matters to me - is that the Fit is kind of silly looking. I'm poor. I'm used to driving entry level cars. But I just couldn't warm to the Fit's looks.

I'd never even dreamed that a base Civic would be in my price range, but it really is a very affordable car. So now I have the Honda quality that I fell in love with and the best manual I've ever driven, all in a comfortable, stylish car that drives like a dream.