New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Basic Installations

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 05:26 AM
Default Basic Installations

Gday guys, I have a 1998 Honda Civic (as I guess many of you do too) and I am just starting to do some work on it to turn it into a weapon. Im broke as with a job that pays under $20 grand a year but Im starting to make some minor modifications to it. The car is pretty much standard but I have installed some internal neons front and rear which was a pretty easy job, and I have just bought a new head unit and a set of front and 6"x9" rears that I need to install. But before I go jumping in, I though I might get some advice from some experts on the topic first. I have a few specific questions to ask, firstly, installing a new head unit.... is it as hard as Im told? Am I better off paying a pro to do it for me or is it fairly stright foward. And second, the rear speakers are 7" I believe, and the new ones are 9". I am predicting they are not going to slot stright in. Is there an easy way of mounting them or is that another job best left to the experts?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Chris

Old 06-30-2006, 08:18 AM
Default RE: Basic Installations

nah, its not hard you just gotta have an idea of what you are doin and a little common sence. I say give it a shot, if you get lost, confused, or pissed off you can always take it into a shop and have them take over. The rears are most likely 6.5" and replacing them with 9s is a bad idea. 9" speakers are usually used as subs. They will produce bass for you, but you will lose a lot of your midrange and high freq. sounds. You can always test it out to see how it will sound before you mount em. Just wire em up and let sit on the floor in your trunk. i would also recommend checkin out http://www.the12volt.com they got a lot of good info on there.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a go. The 9s have got tweeters on them, that will help with the midrange and high range wont it? Also, If anyone has done this kind of installation on this car or very similar, I would appreciate some specific steps so i am pointing in at least the right general direction. For instance, am I removing the whole dash or am I able to install the head unit fairly directly. And the front speakers again, am I removing the whole interior of the door or is it just a case of removing the grill some how?

Old 06-30-2006, 09:19 PM
HCF Member

I have a 99 si. I had to remove a whole bunch of screws to get the whole bottom of the dash off to get to the stereo, after that it is pretty easy to install (with a wire harness from best buy).
Again i dont know if it is the same for you, but if it is like mine it is pretty easy, just have to find ALL the screws.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:09 PM

get a harness..i heard its more difficult w/o one, but still pretty easy.

Old 07-01-2006, 05:30 PM

rear deck speakers are 6x9", door speakers are 6.5"