New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Brand new civic owner, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 05:01 AM
Default Brand new civic owner, advice?

First off i wanna introduce myself. I'm Sean, and I'm brand new to the forums. I just purchased a 2006 Honda civic ex, 1.8L. Now, I've only just purchased it and not looking to get crazy. I'm 18 years old, working part time, so I'm starting out slow. I'm looking for advice on mods for my civic. I was thinking nice exhaust, cold air intake, after market yellow fog lights, tinted windows, and new rims? I'm not trying to be crazy flashy or race anyone, just have a fairly quick , and nice sounding and looking car. Any other suggestions? Please be gentle on me, as I'm new to cars period. I'm not looking to do anything crazy expensive, but am willing to spend the money for quality if that makes sense. Any other advice on my particular vehicle would be fantastic, and appreciated! Thanks so much! (And on a side note, I've been looking a lot at ebay parts. Yay or nay on those?)

Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 AM

Welcome to the forum

Well, I can tell you now that without turbocharging or supercharging, you can never expect that engine to be quick. It is built for fuel economy. Especially if it is an automatic.

That being said, it is still fun to modify and a great learning experience if you pick up the right habits, i.e. buying a quality part the first time instead of buying junk only to replace it later once you realize it is junk.

Do the tint first. It protects your interior and makes you more comfortable. That's important.

Since your engine is not very responsive to bolt-on mods, I would start with the suspension to make it handle better. This is where you are going to notice the most in terms of making it more fun to drive. If in your situation, I would put some Eibach pro-kit or H&R Sport springs on it to lower it ~1.5", or H&R OESport springs if you only want to lower it ~3/4". Then I would get some nice looking wheels and grippy tires. Last, upgrade the rear sway bar (Progress or Eibach).

Then I would do the foglights. And last, the intake and exhaust. That would be about all the money I would spend on a Civic with that engine in terms of performance. Maybe get a nice shift ****, install factory or aftermarket subwoofer (if it doesn't already have it), other misc. interior appearance modifications.

Regarding eBay parts, it depends. Don't buy generic "brand" parts and do not fall victim to attention grabbing words in item titles. For example, JDM is not a brand. JDM means it's sold in the Japanese market, but most of the items on eBay that say JDM aren't really made in Japan and it doesn't matter because they are usually not name brand unless otherwise specified. OEM Honda or other name brand JDM parts (parts originally available only in Japan) are pretty much the only thing "JDM" you should be buying on eBay. Also, there are many items on eBay that claim to be name brand but are fake. There are a lot of Mugen fakes out there. Basically, you need to be around the parts more and read them up on legitimate websites before going to ebay to make a purchase. That way you can compare them and research them to determine legitimacy.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:14 PM
HCF Member

Welcome to the forum and I agree with the mods Trustdestruction suggested.