HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/new-member-introductions-4/)
-   -   Can you remember your first time? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/new-member-introductions-4/can-you-remember-your-first-time-9026/)

FD_Sauce 08-17-2005 11:50 AM

Can you remember your first time?

Can you remember your first time?
Can you remember the 1 thing that got you into import cars/cars in general? Me when i was 13 so about 1999 haha playing basketball on Fraser and Kingsway Robson park saw my first street race from what i could remember it was a yellow integra not sure if it was Type R or Gs-s and a prelude not sure what year. But i could remember everyone running to watch as they were reving their engines and the tires screetching as they launched....still gives me chills lol.

althius 08-17-2005 12:17 PM

RE: Can you remember your first time?

What got me into cars just happened not too long ago. It was my financee getting screwed over by a local dealership to the tune of $2,000 for three seperate repairs, two of which were to fix things they broke the first and second time.

I became determined that I was going to learn about cars so I wouldn't be (as) beholden to those SOBs anymore. I did some research and found that for the money the civic was one of the best cars to learn on. So now I am going through, doing maintence and mods to get my hands dirty and learn!

"What one man can do, another can do!"

Forty04 08-17-2005 01:18 PM

When I was 12 my uncle who lives out in the country built an oval track in his back yard, and bought a datsun 280z. He had been teaching me the basics of auto maintenance, when I asked if he'd take me for a few laps around the track. He said "i'll do ya one better..." he tossed me the keys and continued "go learn how to drive a stick." After nearly destroying the tranny, and spinning the car off the track 25-30 times, i finally got the hang of it. I've loved driving/working on cars ever since.

Nail I3unny 08-17-2005 01:21 PM

it was a cold rainy night. my girlfriend came over for a while because the power was out at her house. we had been talking for a while...when she slipped over top of me and...o wait...

Chimera02EX 08-17-2005 01:34 PM

LOL Nail wrong 1st time [sm=lol.gif]. I have to say the one thing that got me into imports was my buddys Evo 8. He let me drive that beast down in OCM and I couldn't get over it. That is what got me into the tuning side. I've liked Hondas since about 98 when my friend Dave got his moms 92 accord as his first car. Me, I always have and will love Jeeps but I said that if I was ever going to buy a car I'd get a civic. Well last April it happened I was at the bank cashing bonds to go buy another Jeep, a 98 or 99 I6 5 speed, across the street was a small used car lot with a few Jeeps so I went over looking, all autos :(, then I saw the 02 ex sitting there, a manual, asked the guy to take it for a spin, decided I didnt want a Jeep anymore, came back asked him how much altogether, got the price, was told someone was coming back in the morning to buy it.... I said no they aren't, and wrote him out a deposit check came back in as soon as they opened the next morning and handed him a bank check for the car. Sooo glad I bought it too.

Ray012874 08-17-2005 01:50 PM

I remembered what got me interested in cars in the first place. I was 20 years and with a $1000 I bought a Blazer 85, the huge ones. The guy I bought it from had modified it but the motor was knocking. This jeep had 33" tires, and 6" body lifter (bushings).

After I shot the motor, I bought a brand new 5.7 liter engine and helped my brother in law install it. My brother in law had the same one but mine was higher so we competed in hooking our ride. I installed dual exhaust system and I was set to go. I started getting into cars then.

As for imports, well, I always liked Honda cars. Heard great things about it but didn't get one until now. Now, I'm hooked for sure.

StifflersMom 08-17-2005 02:42 PM

Well I used to hang around military trucks and trucks in general back in the days I was still in USSR. When I was 10 one of the mechanics asked me if I wanted something (After I was quietly watching them work for over a year now) and from there it went...and I used to believe in the stereotype that every modded civic is a ricemobile:-D Now I know better and my buddy is getting a civic after seeing how I never go over $20 when filling up(we both used to be straight Mopar guys)

XCM828 08-17-2005 03:21 PM

Way back when, I was looking around on the internet, and I stumbled upon HowStuffWorks. I looked at the article on how engines work for no apparent reason, and I read the entire thing, and memorized it. For some reason it just struck an interest in me because I was amazed that there were so many different things involved in getting an engine to work properly. And from there, I got my license and learned that I like driving fast (duh), and ever since, I've been trying to go faster and get more power.

Pete 08-17-2005 03:42 PM

I was 16, got my first car which was a nissan sentra SE-R. Saw the fast and the furious and they mentioned the "SR20" motor...and i knew i had that motor.......then i said "Ah that motor must be pretty damn good....lemme see what i can do to it.".............and ther u have it.

Nail I3unny 08-17-2005 04:09 PM

my dads been driving an RX-7 since before i was born. thats prolly the main thing that turned me onto the import scene. besides he tought me how to drive manual in it