New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Cheap upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Default RE: Cheap upgrades

want to sell it to me? its the same color as my old one. but really the only thing performance wise that would make a difference would be to do a mpfi swap. better gas mileage and more power. then you can get a cold air intke.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:37 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: drbyers

nice-lookin' EF hatch.

go for some window tint. $100 - $200.

then wax your paint job to make it nice and shiney to make your tint stand out even more. $free if you already have some.

and then start saving up for some:

1. lowering springs $100 - $200

2. new rims - $200 - $400

3. new tires if you're gonna get larger rims $200 - $800

4. and then a bumpinAssed stereo system to make other doods jealous. lol. $1,000 roughly.
hmmm... i set of car alarms with mine for fun...$280....slightly used.. by the way, its FOR SALE! pm for details

Old 12-18-2006, 08:40 PM

be careful when you drop it. it can not be too low. the police will pull you over. later

Old 12-21-2006, 10:22 AM

nice project car manlater

Old 12-21-2006, 02:01 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: atone510

I just bought a 1990 civic dx hatchback. its clean as you'll find for $1000. it runs and dont leak or smoke. completely stock. what are some cheap upgrades i can do to improve the horsepower?? or even the look
Performance wise, you'll get what you pay for, so don't expect much HP from cheap items...

My suggestion: Save up your money...after you have a nice amount, go to the DIY forum and look for the turbo list...you can make your own turbo for about $1500, but I would recommend getting a fairly priced exhuast (not too cheap, but not too expensive)...and if you have a manual, you should buy a short shifter, it wont add horsepower, but you'll love it once you have it installed...even the eBay ones aren't that bad...

Old 12-22-2006, 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: the_turtle

nice-lookin' EF hatch.

then wax your paint job to make it nice and shiney to make your tint stand out even more. $free if you already have some.

4. and then a bumpinAssed stereo system to make other doods jealous. lol. $1,000 roughly.
hmmm... i set of car alarms with mine for fun...$280....slightly used.. by the way, its FOR SALE! pm for details

Yeah Guys All this stuff will get him 500 hp !!
For all you know he wants a sleeper. You ricers give us a bad name.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:45 AM
HCF Member

Speaking from experience (i have the dx in a 91) I/H/E will improve your throttle response and make your car sound like teh secks, but you will still be damn slow. For hp gains you need to look at a dpfi to mpfi swap or just an engine swap. For appearance wise, these guys pretty much said it, lowered, rims, tint. +1 on the short shifter too! Good luck.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:26 PM

Black steelies would in my opinion look nicer. Mine are silver too, I just got some cheap wheel covers, but I think i'm going to paint my rims black until i can get new rims.

For inexpensive starters I would go with tint, a good short ram or cold air intake, and a cat back exhaust.

You should be able to get around 15-20 HP from the CAI and Exhaust, maybe more depending on the car, in my opinion those are the best "bang for the buck" starter mods.

I have about $750 in stereo in mine, Sony CDX-FW700 head unit, Sony 1000 watt amp, Pioneer 4way 6-1/2"s and a Kicker s10l7 solo baric sub and two lightning audio tweeters. It sounds awesome, and personally that was my best addition yet to my car. It's got enough bass to visibly vibrate the windshield if that says anything...

Mine originally had a single manual mirror, I added dual power mirrors too.

I had gone with a custom Axle back exhaust on mine, but not only was it louder than I wanted it felt a little slower on launch, and looked too ricey for me, so I went back stock.

Good luck...

-Mike-
you can see my car at: http://rides.webshots.com/album/545028353FjSATv

Old 12-25-2006, 01:02 AM

hey guys i got a new pic of my hatch. i painted the wheels black. i think it looks a lot better

Old 12-25-2006, 01:24 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: DarkMx6

ORIGINAL: the_turtle

nice-lookin' EF hatch.

Yeah Guys All this stuff will get him 500 hp !!
For all you know he wants a sleeper. You ricers give us a bad name.
go take your rundown jalopy somewhere else, you closet ricer.

he asked for upgrade advice and we're given it to him.

reading comprehension pwnz...

Quick Reply: Cheap upgrades