New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Civic Noob here

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 06:29 AM
HCF Member
Default Civic Noob here

Hi, James from Minnesota, joined to learn some more info on my car.
I have a 2003 Civic EX sedan, I have had it for about 7 years( had it since Aug. 06') now and haven't had any problem with it. It is my daily driver but I try and keep it nice and clean.

Right now I'm getting ready to buy new shocks and springs (mine are the factory ones and have 80k miles on them), and I have no idea which ones I should get. Any recommendations, are greatly appreciated.

Quick pic I took after work yesterday ( it's dirty)

Attached Thumbnails Civic Noob here-image.jpg  

Last edited by 03EXcivic; 04-25-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:36 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Do you plan on lowering the car? Did a mechanic inform you that replacements are needed, or are you assuming this due to mileage?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 AM

Welcome

Doesn't seem like you plan on modifying it, I get the impression that you're just looking to maintain the car. Like cvcrcr99 said, do you know for a fact that they need replacement or are you assuming?

In my experience, although springs can sag over a long period time, you shouldn't really need to change the springs at 80k, unless of course there is an apparent problem with them. However, I think 80k miles is way too early for this to really happen.

I would not even replace the shocks unless you or a mechanic notice a specific problem.

That being said, if you really need to replace the springs I would go OEM Honda. I do not know of an alternative that does not involve lowering the car. For shocks, I would get OEM Honda (preferred) or whatever is being sold at the auto parts store. For maintenance on an unmodified daily driver, this is more than adequate.

Routine maintenance of parts other than belts, fluids, and spark plugs is really kind of unnecessary. Everything else should just be based on when it actually needs to be replaced. For example, you wouldn't replace tires based on mileage, you would replace them based on condition and treadwear.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:49 AM
HCF Member

I'm replacing the struts/shocks because when I go over a speed bump, it feels like they bottom out (mainly the rear passenger side shock) and i'll occasionally hear a crunch( could be the spring isolators, not sure).
Do I plan on lowering it? No, not really but who knows.
I tend to do repairs myself ( my brother in law is a mechanic, so he'll help me sometimes)
Actually I just replaced the driver side axle (torn boot), only took me about 30mins.
I'll go and see what kind of shocks/struts they sell at local shops. Thanks guys

Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 AM

Sounds like worn shocks, as you diagnosed, then. I wouldn't replace the springs, they should be fine.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:26 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Sounds like worn shocks, as you diagnosed, then. I wouldn't replace the springs, they should be fine.
Yup, that's what I'm hoping it is.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:25 PM
HCF Member

A little update

I still haven't replaced the shocks or struts, I have been really busy at work. Luckily though I have been driving my other car, so haven't driven the civic much.
After reading and checking the maintenance schedule in the owners manual, I was thinking about replacing the Timing belt. I'm thinking about doing it 4th of July weekend because I have it off so I'll have plenty of time. My question is how difficult is it to do? I've talked to my brother in law ( the mechanic ) and he says it's not too difficult, just time consuming because I'll have to remove the alt. etc.. to have access to the timing belt.
Sorry for the long post
Ps I'll also will be replacing the shocks/struts at this time.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:01 AM

The most difficult part is removing the crank pulley. The bolt is pretty much almost seized from the rotation of the engine and requires a special tool to hold the pulley while you break the bolt loose, otherwise the crankshaft just turns with your breaker bar/socket wrench/impact gun.

The best thing to use is a breaker bar with the special tool on it, and an impact gun.

Here's the tool. You may find a better deal.
Powerbuilt 648796 Honda Crankcase Pulley Removal Tool - Amazon.com Powerbuilt 648796 Honda Crankcase Pulley Removal Tool - Amazon.com

Old 06-13-2013, 01:10 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for the info, sadly though I got a new job ( which is a good thing but) so my previous planned vacation is not happening.