New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

CIVIC Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 08:20 AM
Default CIVIC Purchase

Good day everyone. I was hoping to get some recomendatiosn on which civic to buy. I recently owned a 2002 Jetta 1.8T (turbo). I very much enjoyed the engine response, found it repsonsive enough fo rmy needs. Decided to trade it for a number of reasons. I now am back in the positon of acquiring another vehicle. I recently drove both Civics (vtec and basic). I was very impressed with the handling of each vehicle, for me there was a high degree of driving satisfaction (even though I am sure that my driving would be boring when compared too many). The handling far outperformed the Jetta in my opinion, but, of course came no where close to the Jetta in the acceleation.

I describe the diffenece between the Jetta and CIVIC, because I would hope to purchase a CIVC and learn the adjsutments neccessary to increase the acccleartion performance to come close to that of the Jetta. If I could achieve this I'd be quite happy (until I learned more . Now you may already sense that I am a novice when it comes to engine knowledge and modification, but, I am very eager to learn.

Which CIVIC should I buy, assuming that I want to achieve results close to above? Does the non VTec engien limit my options for modifications that much? Does the VTEc engine provide opportunites for more straight forward simpler modifications? One last quesiton. Would you recommend new or used. I thinking used sicne I assume many of the utltimate changes will limit a new car warranty in any event. So if used any particualr year to look out for.

Thanks to all.

Dave

Old 07-10-2005, 08:28 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: CIVIC Purchase

Get the Vtec. You will already have boosted power compared to the non vtec.

Old 07-10-2005, 09:21 AM

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to HCF. [sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

I'm looking for a Civic also, and I'm going to buy used (99-00) because there aren't as many mods out there for the newer Civics. I like the style of the 6th generation better than the 7th generation Civics as well. (No offence to 7th Gen owners.....just my preference)

Old 07-10-2005, 11:37 AM

Deffinatly get the VTEC. It has more potnetial just because it revs higher.

That is if you want to keep the stock engine. One of the best ways to get power out of a Honda is to swap motors. Although swapping motors in a car may make you a bit nervous, it is very very common and prob one of the best horsepower per dollar mod out there right now. If this interests you, you may want to go with the cheaper non-vtec one becase you will be paying for a motor you do not intend on using long.

As for new or used, Id deffinatly go used. How much used should be up to you. My favorite would be 99-00. Best of all if you can find a coupe with the DOHC VTEC already in it (Si) you wont need to swap motors and can save yourself a brick of cash. But look around and see what body style you like best, then decide from there.