New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Ebay or OEM??

Old 11-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Default Ebay or OEM??

HiHonda Forum,
I've been drivingmy wife's'94 2dr Civic Ex<vtec> all these years (she bought it from the dealer) and never once considered modifying it. But nowit's time for the oldmistress to awake!! (since my dream of owning a G35 isstill very far) Maybe youguys can help me w/ some suggestions.....

Currently I'm seriously considering:
1)Intake: Ebay **NEW AEM SHORT RAM AIR INTAKE 92-95 CIVIC 96-00 Civic EX** $94 (incl shipping)
2)Muffler: Ebay **GReddy SP-used** $150 (incl shipping)
3)Header: Ebay **NEW 92-95 96-00 HONDA CIVIC EX CERAMIC RACING HEADER 97 98** ZOMK SPEED$66 (incl shipping) 4-2-1
4)Catback - no change in piping
5)Window Tinting $135 - to add a little class

Questionis...
1)Will I be making a big mistake buying from Ebay?The header looks good on Ebay but sounds a little too cheap.Will theparts fall apart after a month? I'm not planning to race it or anything.
2)Will the car sound too loud w/ these parts installed? I looked on YouTube the sounds of some of these mufflers and GReddy has the low tone -almost as clean and crisp as BMW M5. Am I illusioned?
3)Based on these parts combinations, any guesses as to what kind of Hp increase?

Old 11-20-2007, 01:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Ebay or OEM??

1.) "Performance, quality, & low price...choose 2". eBay is kinda hit and miss. An eBay (off-brand) intake should be fine since it's just a hollow tube (make sure you get a quality air filter, though). I wouldn't recommend getting an off-brand header or exhaust, however. Quality and fitment will be poor.

2.) Car shouldn't be too loud. Like you said, check out YouTube and find a brand/model whose sound you like. Also, make sure to check out the Intake, Header, and Exhaust section of the forum. There's some FAQs and reviews in there.

3.) If you installed an intake, header, and exhaust you'd probably see a gain of 10-15 hp.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:18 PM
HCF Member

asdfbrendan if you look at the stuff hes buyingits aem and greddy.
only thing thats actually ebay is header. Get a megan 4-2-1 header
its one of the cheaper ones but good quality.
if its name brand stuff go for it. just don't buy generic crap

Old 11-21-2007, 12:07 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Kenneth11588

2)Muffler: Ebay **GReddy SP-used** $150 (incl shipping)
4)Catback - no change in piping

3)Based on these parts combinations, any guesses as to what kind of Hp increase?
a muffler on stock pipe will just be noise, not a horsepower increase... don't waste your money if you are looking for performance

Old 11-21-2007, 04:34 PM

Thanks, I have an idea now on what to do now... I'm going for low clean tone rather than performance since installing the cat back and header involves smog checks that I don't really want to get into.
1)$210 for Apexi WS Universal Muffler (recomended for clean/low tone)
2)$238 for AEM CAI (recomended for good tone) - am I paying too much for this item or can I get something cheaper and still maintain the tone?
3)$135 for window tinting
Hopefully, I cangain 5-7 extra Hp and a nice sounding car that I can be proud of.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:27 PM
HCF Member

if you're going to cheap out on the exhaust, and its just for sound... why waste the money on an aem cai when you can get an ebay intake for like $50

Old 11-22-2007, 08:06 AM

Don't go cheap on your car, most ebay stuff don't fit right, and quality is low, unless it's someone selling good name brand stuff.
They sell them cheap for a reason, most of them are copy cats that don't work right

Old 11-23-2007, 12:36 PM

Maybe it'd be an overkill to spend that kind of $$$ just to install the muffler and CAI. I was considering the $50 sri, whole new cat backand headerwhen I saw the $$$ I can save from buying ebay. Andall these research/reviews takes so much time and yet they don't guarantee what I'm looking for. Sothe safebet is just to listen to the store's advise.And thenpeople started telling me that I get for what I pay and my budget is not that much.Maybe they're trying to maximize their sales but then again I don't really want to be stuck w/ a $50 muffler/sri that I don't like.Any advise? orparts reccomendations? I'm still looking for cool/low tone -without getting pulled over by the cops.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Snail'n Admin

ok heres the deal. ebay is good for stuff if you know what you're looking for. For not a whole lot more, you can buy a Megan racing header which will bejust fine for your needs. The aem intake seems like its a good price. You can't go wrong with GReddy stuff And to whoever said 10-15hp...you're on crack. You'll see slightly better throttle response and an hp gain of 10hp at the MOST

Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM
HCF Member

You don't think he'd gain 10-15 hp w/ I/H/E? That was his original question/post...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ebay or OEM??