New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

First Car - Where to Invest my $$$ ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 05:02 PM
HCF Member
Default First Car - Where to Invest my $$$ ?

Hey guys, I just bought my first car.. 1996 Civic Hatch CXG and I just wanted to know where I should invest my money to get the most hp out of my car. Everything is stock on the engine other than the air intake and the exhaust, not sure what brand they are.. I haven't looked into that yet since I'm only getting my car in a couple days.. I'm pretty psyched.. I can't get to sleep lol. After I'm done on the interior of my car which shouldn't be long I wanted to focus on the engine.. which is the area where I lack quite a bit of knowledge.. I was looking at a B16B $ 3550.00 (USD) and a B18C R $ 4000.00 (USD). I don't think I'm ready to dish out that much money into my car yet so I was wondering what are some other mods that can be done to my engine to get some extra hp. BTW whats the difference between the CXG, CX, and DX?

Old 05-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Default RE: First Car - Where to Invest my $$$ ?

Only differences are a few options.. tilt steering/ac/rear window washer.. body colored components.. spoiler/sidemoldings/mirrors.. things like that.. as far as performance to get more hp you cant squeeze much out of a Y7.. if you want to do the mini me swap and make your engine an EX or D16Y8 then just do a search for MINI ME swap .. lots have done this for under 500 but its if you want to risk using used parts on your engine..bolt ons are basic intake/header/cat/catback exhaust.. maybe Intake manifold and Throttle body.. you can buy new ones from skunk2/BBK throttle for around 500 or get used EX/D16y8 intake mani and throttle body for a little more gain.. keep in mind if you change manifold you have to modify your intake as it will be horizontal rather than vertical.. short shifter is good to give a better feel on working through the gears..Welcome to the forum!!!

Old 05-09-2006, 05:16 PM
HCF Member

Welcome to HCF. As a good first mod, i would get a rear disc conversion. Second i would get suspension upgrades. An engine swap or a minime swap would also be a good idea, but the engine swap would cost quite a bit of money.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

Awesome thanks for the info.. Im looking into the mini me swap right now. I forgot to mention that I already got suspension upgrades.. I just got it lowered and got 15' or 16' rims on it.. again havent been able to really look into all the details.. ill have it in a couple of days.. so what is the difference between the cxg, cx, dx or the other models for hatchbacks.. that might be a dumb question but I tried looking for a bit and couldn't find it.

Thanks again for the advice

Old 05-09-2006, 07:22 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: TicKeR_96_HaTcH

so what is the difference between the cxg, cx, dx or the other models for hatchbacks.. that might be a dumb question but I tried looking for a bit and couldn't find it.
Looks like mentaldis0rder already answered that. Maybe you missed it.

Welcome and congrats, by the way.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:52 PM
HCF Member

Oh my bad I did miss that. So my stock engine on my 96 hb cxg would be the D16y7(106hp) right? And to do a mini me swap I would be looking at putting a D16y8 head on instead of the y7 which would bring my hp to about 127hp I think? And my SOHC non vtec engine would now be vtec? So by putting performance parts on like H/I/E etc.. how much max whp am I looking at and how much money? (1000$ budget is my goal hopefully, I've already got an aftermarket exhaust and intake on it). Also whats the difference between the CX, and the CX"G"?

Sorry about all the questions, just tell me to shut up .. I'm getting really interested into all this, I'm just a noob but I'm learning lol.. and everyone seems to be really helpful so thanks alot

Old 05-10-2006, 07:45 AM

Welcome.. Most helpful group of folks are here, that I have found when looking for info on my civic. Sorry I do not know the exact differences on the models. Good luck.. sounds like you are getting some good advice already.

Harold

Old 05-10-2006, 07:51 AM

There is no listing for CxG on carpoint/autos msn..you sure it wasnt just an added badge by previous owner? ive never seen a CXG personally .. but yes your hp with Y8 head would be 127.. if you buy an aftermarket Throttle body and intake manifold when you do the mini swap and have intake/headers/exhaust you can guess maybe 15-20 hp extra over the 127.. but thats crank HP keep in mind

Old 05-10-2006, 11:28 AM
HCF Member

Maybe it's just a CX then? I have no idea for some reason I thought it was cx"G". So with I/H/E, intake manifold and throddle body.. I could bring my stock 106hp.. up to about 145/150hp roughly which is the most I'd get out of that engine I'm guessing.. To do a mini me swap and have these parts put on it how much $$ am I looking at approx? Also what brands for the parts do u guys recommend, I hear alot of aem, dc, skunk2, catback exhaust and the such.

Thanks again

Old 05-11-2006, 06:13 AM

Yeah any of those brands are good.. just depends more on your personal preference and style ..then what you want to pay for part.. i just had to rebuy everything for my new hatch and i will possibly be doing the MINI swap myself now due to cost and then going turbo later down the road.. but listed below is what i got and what i paid.. once again MINI ME can be had all for less than 500 if you dont build up your head first or buy alot of aftermarket parts.. good thing is though if you buy the intake manifold and TB these will fit your Y8 head along with already having a Y8 CAI.. perfect for people like me who want to do everything in steps based on money.. so if you do this first then find a Y8 head and have it machined/... ie port/polish 3 angle valve job .. and while your add it pay for stage 2 cam and springs with adjustable cam gear.. i would assume you can get some pretty good power out of your mini swap.. but no one on here can tell me .. only people i have seen who did the mini just did a straight swap and gained only the bolt on power..

AEM CAI/V2 for Y8 head as this will connect to the new S2 manifold i got..235
Skunk2 INtake manifold for D series.. 230
BBK throttle body 62 MM port.,. matches the S2 manifold sizing without paying someone to match it.. 276
DC 4-1 headers one peice .. 1 peice =lower weight and less risk of exhaust leak .. 265
Magnaflow 2.25 Cat=60
Magnaflow Catback exhaust 345
.. so 1411 total for bolt ons.. i wont get a DYno till i get to the track this summer to know what kinda power im actually making at the wheels.. guessing maybe 110 at most.. the non vtec motors from what i heard dont make as much use out of bolt ons as the B series Vtecs and larger motors..But the difference in power is deff noticable..