New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

First Honda ever?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 08:30 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: First Honda ever?

Hondas are pretty loud stock, but you could tell the dealer that it is loud and make him lower the price a little more.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:56 PM
ReQ

ok more questions

just wondering about the shifting, driving it the rpms seemed to get pretty high before it would shift, from a dead stop it shifts ou of first then gets up to about 5,000rpms before shifting again, i was on the gas pretty hard, does that have anything to do with the shifting? dunno much about vtec

the only other problem is... the power doorlocks dont work on the doors, hit the button on the keychain and it unlocks and locks... blown fuse or bad switches?

without those few little bugs its a very nice car, cheapest 6th gen ex i could find, dont really carefor the older bodystyle, and it just happens to be the ONLY silver one i have found, which is the color we want, so i would like to get it, but not if theres any major problems

going to test drive another one monday to compare the shifting and other things, its a 99 ex very low mileage and they want alot more for it, but im not planning to buy it

Old 07-15-2006, 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: ReQ

ok more questions

just wondering about the shifting, driving it the rpms seemed to get pretty high before it would shift, from a dead stop it shifts ou of first then gets up to about 5,000rpms before shifting again, i was on the gas pretty hard, does that have anything to do with the shifting? dunno much about vtec
With an automatic, how hard you're pushing the gas has "everything" to do with how high it revs the engine before grabbing the next gear. The harder you push, the higher it'll rev before shifting. On the floor, it should go pretty much to redline on each shift. Were you relatively easy on it until it shifted out of 1st and then pushed down on the gas? That would explain the situation you describe. VTEC, in and of itself, doesn't have that much to do with when the tranny shifts. It can, I'm sure, but I don't think it's as big a factor as the driver is, or the terrain you're driving in, uphill / downhill etc.

Honda has many VTEC variations out there, depending on the car and what they're trying to achieve. Some VTEC systems are totally power oriented. The S2000 is a great example of that. Others are more emmissions and mileage oriented. The new 06 Civic 1.8L falls into that catagory I think.

Best of luck on your quest for a new ride!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:56 PM
ReQ

ORIGINAL: Intrepid175
With an automatic, how hard you're pushing the gas has "everything" to do with how high it revs the engine before grabbing the next gear. The harder you push, the higher it'll rev before shifting. On the floor, it should go pretty much to redline on each shift. Were you relatively easy on it until it shifted out of 1st and then pushed down on the gas? That would explain the situation you describe. VTEC, in and of itself, doesn't have that much to do with when the tranny shifts. It can, I'm sure, but I don't think it's as big a factor as the driver is, or the terrain you're driving in, uphill / downhill etc.

Honda has many VTEC variations out there, depending on the car and what they're trying to achieve. Some VTEC systems are totally power oriented. The S2000 is a great example of that. Others are more emmissions and mileage oriented. The new 06 Civic 1.8L falls into that catagory I think.

Best of luck on your quest for a new ride!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
thats exactly what i was hoping to hear, i was alittle harder on the gas after the first shift, it was only after i let off around 5k did it shift up again, it was a new and weird experience for me being that it was an automatic, wasnt too sure but now i understand

ok, i think that is about all i need for now, thanks for the help everyone, once i get a civic(soon hopefully) ill be sure to stick around

Old 07-16-2006, 12:38 AM
HCF Member

damn man he was asking 7500 foor that damnn..i paid 3000 for mine stock like that..wow people these dayss...

Old 07-16-2006, 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: 1c1v1c1

damn man he was asking 7500 foor that damnn..i paid 3000 for mine stock like that..wow people these dayss...
Yeah, I agree, but you never know, he might just find someone willing to spend he money and look how much farther ahead he'll be. As they say, there's one born every minute!

ReQ,

You haven't spent much time in automatics have you? That's "really" unusual by my experience. Most folks don't know what to do with a clutch these days. I imagine that you'll enjoy the novalty of it at first, and the convenience of it, especially in rush hour traffic. You may or may not care for the performance hit that most cars take when a slush box is put behind the engine. Then again, that may not be an issue for you.

Good luck,
Steve R.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:47 PM

you should be able to do better than that, try to work with them a little you should be able to get them down to 6.5 if not lower. I got my 2000 EX with 90k miles and it is in excellent condition for 7.5k It took a little work a little bit of waiting but it was worth the wait.. (they wanted 10k sticker), about 3 weeks of negotations.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:33 PM
ReQ

ORIGINAL: goldfinger

you should be able to do better than that, try to work with them a little you should be able to get them down to 6.5 if not lower. I got my 2000 EX with 90k miles and it is in excellent condition for 7.5k It took a little work a little bit of waiting but it was worth the wait.. (they wanted 10k sticker), about 3 weeks of negotations.
iv already talked him down to 5k and 3k for my trade in, so in the end ill be paying 2k plus taxes and tag and $500 for the banks slice of "down payment" they wont take just a car without sticking it to you on the price, but thats fine... im getting 3k for a car i was PAID to get out of a friends yard, his son blew it up, broken timing belt bent valves, he gave me $100 to take it, spent $150 fixing it for a new head ou of the junk yard, new headgasket and it was ready to do

ORIGINAL: Intrepid175
ReQ,

You haven't spent much time in automatics have you? That's "really" unusual by my experience. Most folks don't know what to do with a clutch these days. I imagine that you'll enjoy the novalty of it at first, and the convenience of it, especially in rush hour traffic. You may or may not care for the performance hit that most cars take when a slush box is put behind the engine. Then again, that may not be an issue for you.

Good luck,
Steve R.
the only automatic i have ever owned is the 98 neon sport i have now, and i dont like it at all, i did like the civic even though it is an automatic, the first car i ever drove was a 1978 Plymouth Fire Arrow, i think its basically a mitsubishi lancer, either way i learned to drive it on the racetrack, open track ofcourse

i have driven alot of automatics with a SBC V8 though, completely different from an I4, no sluggish bogging anytime, i know most honda owners dont like "V8 guys" but i grew up around short tracks in florida, i love V8s, but i also love small displacement engines, which is why RX-7s are my favorite cars and why i own two, my racecar is also a 4 banger, 2.2 dodge out of a daytona, sitting in a full tubeframe chassis, i use to have a V8 "sportsmen" but i wnted to goto the
modified 4's, they out run the streetstock the V8s