New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

hello from Pittsburgh PA

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Default hello from Pittsburgh PA

Im the new owner of my first Honda, a 98 2door. manly I picked it up as a dd for a work car and had some questions. How hard would it be to swap to a 5speed, how hard is it to fix the rust in the rear 1/4s. The cooling fan and backup lights don't work. Is this a common thing? Most everything on the car works (pw,pl, sunroof) I have a cel on and the ac doesn't work and the power steering gets stiff if im sitting around. I would think that's just it being low on fluid. IM going to search the site and pick your brains so thanks in advance Also how do I tell what engine I have?
AJ

Last edited by bardo; 08-09-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:42 AM

Welcome to the forum.

5 speed swap is not too difficult if you are mechanically inclined. There are a bunch of DIY guides out there, too.

I am not too keen on body work, but rear 1/4 rust is common.

Does the car overheat since the fan does turn on? You can jump the fan switch on the thermostat housing to get it to run. if not, I would start looking at getting a new fan. If it does turn on, replace the fan switch.

Locate the reverse sensor on the top of the transmission (I think it is on the top), and inspect the wires. Everytime I had a reverse light problem, it was due to a bulb being out, or a wire being cut.

You can jump the service connector in the Passenger foot well to check the CEL or you can go to an auto parts store. most will scan for free.

Not sure about the a/c since anything could be wrong, but the P/S issue sounds like a pump issue, or it could be low on fluid.

As for the engine, look here.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...-engine-29022/

You should have a D16y7, or a D16y8. Those were the stock motors for that year.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:42 AM

Thanks man.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:04 AM

Ok so I went to the auto store and the pulled the codes for me. 2 of them where o2 sensors and one was a trans range sensor. I have never heard of this but they said I needed to go to Honda to get one. The motor I found out is a 16y8 so that was kind of nice. Car only over heats when sitting still for a long time on hot days so I'm not to worried. I'm going to say the ps pump is bad cause it's full of fluid. I'll deal with the reverse lights latter. Thanks for the help guys