New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

hey. new here. b16 or d16? =p

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Kei
Default RE: hey. new here. b16 or d16? =p

Personally, I would suggest something that is going to cost more money but will help you further your knowledge in the long run. I suggest Open operation on a D16z6 motor. The motor is about $400 and very common. From there, I would suggest learning about cams and pistons and boring and honing and all the fun little intricate details to learning how to tune and modify a motor to get the best set up for what you are looking for. FROM HERE, you can move to something like a b16 which is a $1000-$1500 motor and you have all the mor experience to tune that motor with so that you do not rely on a shop or another source of information.

Like I said...this is much more expencive, but in the end you will get better results because you will know so much more about the craft.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:04 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: GetItBoy

sup guys. appreciate all the responses. and ive made up my mind. i think i gotta go b-series. because i think that yeah you can build the d and turbo it for about how much it costs to get a b. but the b has so much more potential!
and yeah turtle ive thought about all the other little things i need to get for the b swap. thats the main reason i couldn choose between goin turbo or b. didnt wanna deal with it all. and edyo good luck with what you decide to do. no love for the d series? haha
story time..
today i skipped school with bunch of people. later decided to go to the mall and got on the interstate. got on my car hard for the first time. bought the car a short while ago. me and another friend with a civic decided to race. both stock d16. it was the slowest race ever man. haha. we go from 60mph. first was scared to drop it to 3rd. (never raced before) so dropped it to 4th.. and it didnt do anything barely! and other civic slowly pulls away. so lined up again and decided to drop it to 3rd. kicks a little, but i thought it woulda kicked way harder, and pulled away from him. raced again. pulled away from him. think his civic was a dx. whats it called when youre goin then you push in clutch again and let go with gas still down. makes the tires chirp. when i did it i really pulled from him. so yeah my first race. my car is slooow. thought it was faster than it was. maybe i expected too much? lol. i am new to this kind of stuff. but the d is saving me gas. and i still love it.
Ouch try not to do that to your car too much it hurts it a lot (its called power shifting)

Old 11-09-2006, 05:46 PM

GetItBoy
whats it called when youre goin then you push in clutch again and let go with gas still down.
cyberx32
Ouch try not to do that to your car too much it hurts it a lot (its called power shifting)
hey thanks man, i didnt know it was bad. ill keep that in mind.

and thats not a bad idea kei..[sm=smiley13.gif]
that would cost some money.. but in the long run itd save you money because you wont have to rely on shops any shops and do the work yourself. gonna keep that idea in mind too

Old 11-09-2006, 06:10 PM
HCF Member

I had a turbo D. They are awesome. For 2K you will get a B16 complete swap.....but thats not installed, and its just 160hp. Get a D16Z6 for 500 bucks, build the bottom end and boost it. You could drop the motor off at a shop and have them build it for boost. It might end up costing a little more than the B series but its definetly worth it because you can run 250 whp on a build D series turbo. Say you get a solid turbo kit, nice size turbo and build the D.. Say it costs you 3500$ with everything installed and ready to go, including the turbo kit. That price is steep BUT im factoring in a Dyno tune and everything. Say youre running moderate horsepower on the D....so 240 WHP....That is a fast civic. Now lets see how much you pay per hp......

D series WHP would be 240 (or more if ya want, you have the built internals to support it) Thats 3500/240(whp) Thats $14.58 per WHP.

B series, say $2750 (750 for install) 160hp-24hp (15% drivetrain powerloss=136WHP. $2750/136(whp) Thats $20.22 per WHP.

Do the B series swap yourself and figure $2,000/136=$14.70 per whp.

If youve got a running engine in your car now just leave it alone. Buy another D series and drop it off at a shop. Getting it built for boost is much cheaper per each whp you gain. You could even bump it up to 250 whp on the turbo D, but that blows the B out of the water lol.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:03 PM

hey pete. that makes me wanna jus build a d and turbo it. i got some questions if thats cool. were you satisfied with your cars power? i want power, im not trying to be ridiculously fast tho, i jus wanna know my car has a lil speed in it. i wanna have fun on the interstate.
and i want the car to still be really reliable. because its my only car and is gonna be my daily driver. im still young and not really ballin outta control and cant really afford lots of repairing and stuff. and i took a look at your turbo grocery list. would it be better if i were to buy brand name parts for the turbo kit? or would that jus be a waste of money?

Old 11-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Kei

Also keep in mind what you are using this car FOR. If you are building an Auto Cross car like I did, I didn't focus much on Power as much as I did on suspension. I have fully adjustable suspension to allow a track to track change. However Dragging or off the line up and go is going to be a definate turbo application. If you are trying to stick to STREET LEGAL then you are going to come across the good ol' referee. They will tell you everything is wrong and then you will do it again and again. There are, however, things like Street-legal turbos for the d16. I know Greddy makes one and there are several sites to tell you how to build you own. Just be careful, ask a lot of questions, and never assume you know your **** 100%. I'd ask how to change my oil if something didn't feel right.

I'm glad this topic became such a vibrant convo.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:56 AM

I also have a D series engine and also contemplating on turbo or swap. Are turbos high maintainance?

Old 11-11-2006, 03:04 PM

Jus make sure u bulid ur **** right, u dont wanna ruin ur engine!..u have to get it tuned and all!

Old 11-11-2006, 08:30 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Ben

K-series FTW
Ben is the smartest guy in the post! Way to think outside the box... and blow it away!

Old 11-11-2006, 11:41 PM

i have a 96 civic dx. and i jus t purchased a b16a and it has 170 hp. its the japanese version with no number at the end. i bought the complete swap kit at hmotorsonline.com it inly cost me like 2600 bucks. and it comes with everything you need plus it has less than 34,000 miles, and a start up warranty. thats where you need to go if you want a good swap at a good price that includes shipping and everything. plus the horsepower you get out of a turbod d-series would be the same as you would out of that b16a...sooo make the smart choice

Quick Reply: hey. new here. b16 or d16? =p