New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hey Whats up everyone!!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Default Hey Whats up everyone!!

Hi!! Obviously im new here lol. I just bought a 93 civic ex a couple days ago for my daily driver. I have a 93 mazda rx7 gt35r single turbo for my weekend car, so I plan on leaving the civic stock for a while and just keeping it running good.. (just changed the oil and did a tune up today!!) eventually I do want to swap a motor and all that good stuff. but im not sure what motor yet.. plenty of time to think that one threw.. since I don't have any real experience in working with Hondas ill probably be on here a lot asking stupid questions lol. but thanks in advance!!!

Old 03-05-2013, 06:06 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Your engine is already pretty much the best D-series (SOHC) engine (D16Z6) so you'll most likely be looking at a B-series (DOHC) or a K-series (DOHC). B-series engines (generally 1.6-1.8L) are the most common engine swap for a Civic of that generation, as they were available during the same period of time. As a result, installation is simpler electrically and in terms of mounts, etc. K-series engines are newer but larger (generally 2.0-2.4L) and more powerful... they are also more expensive and difficult to install. But, they can make and withstand more power. I think that given your level of knowledge, you would be best off doing a B16 swap, or B18 if you have more money and want more power. It really depends what you're wanting. K-series is going to be a much more advanced swap, something you probably wouldn't want to do for your first Honda engine swap.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 PM

Yea that makes since.. I am really considering the b16 right now. I've been looking at prices, so not only will it be more practical for me to do a b series swap but it would be a lot easier on the pockets!! I had a buddy down in Florida with a b20 vetch, I think he had a GSR head and a type r tranny. I remember riding in it and thinking WOW.. its actually pretty quick.. it surprised the hell out of me!! But what im getting at is how comparable is the B16 to his b20 vetch?? I know the b20 has more displacement but it also has lower compression, if im not mistaken. And one more question really quick lol.. "im full of questions right now but im trying to hold back a little lol" but a friend of mine here has 4 GSR's right now and one of them lost lost compression in one of the cylinders, he just has is sitting right now. would it be worth trying to get that motor from him and just doing a GSR build. since the motor hasn't been opened up I don't know the true extent of the damage.. thanks for your time.. I know these questions might seem elementary but im trying lol.. I went threw hell when I first got the rx7.. spending money where it didn't need to be spent and all types of stuff.. once I started utilizing the rx7 forum I figured out a lot of things that I otherwise would have spend thousands of dollars to figure out lol

Old 03-08-2013, 05:26 AM

If I remember correctly, that B20 VTEC is commonly referred to as a Frankenstein. It's not going to be as easy as a B16 swap. It will also cost more because you will need more parts. However, it could be rewarding. Then again, if I were going to do that I would just get a B18C1 (GSR) instead.

Google some swap info for more details

Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 AM

oh ok.. cool.. yea, ill just do some more research and go from there..