New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hi. New.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:14 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Hi. New.

Yes, 1k is abso-f'ing-loutely outrageous!!!!! It shouldnt cost more than $500 to get it done. Hell, if you lived in my town I would do it for you for $300!

Old 09-27-2006, 12:20 PM

My boss is calling his mechanic, and I have another referral I'm looking into.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:20 PM
HCF Member

If you have a midas in the area give them a try also.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:04 AM

Well, 3 mechanics all quoted $600+ for the cat. The mechanic my boss talked to warned that once you start getting into the exhaust system, depending on how old the other pipes are, they might need replaced in the end. Would you agree?

I'm not in a huge hurry to get it fixed as it's mainly an inspection issue (March). I am taking it to a mechanic to have a second diagnosis next week to confirm that it is indeed cracked (and see it myself). I haven't called Midas yet but will probably do that today.

If it really is cracked, would you take a road trip (7 hours) with it?

Old 09-28-2006, 08:08 AM

P.S. The $1k comes from the cat, O2 sensor and labor. $200 for one O2 sensor from two places. I suppose it's likely that the second sensor (if there are two...can't recall right now) wouldn't be able to remain and I'd need to replace both? Yes/no?

I am hoping to get a realistic picture of what this could cost me in the end, and decide if I'm going to put that money into it or not.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:41 PM

First off, welcome to the boards, I too just joined this forum and I must say that it is full of info, and good people.

Secondly, as others have stated NEVER take your car to a dealer (unless its a recall that Honda is paying for) I used to work at a dealer as a mechanic some years ago....dealers are all overpriced, and not to sound sexist or anything, but when they see a woman they automatically jack the price (yes, I know what I'm talking about, I'm speaking from experience)

As others have said, $1k is WAY too much for this kind of repair. If all else fails try one of those "Custom Exhaust" places that may be around in your neighborhood, and it may help to take a guy with you. Let the guy act like its his car, and tell him to talk like he knows exactly whats wrong with it. And if they still give you a high price, then say "That much?! (insert name here) down the street will do it for (insert price you want to pay here)!" say it with firmness, and if they don't respond, just walk out and go elsewhere.

Again, I'm not being a sexist, just giving some helpful insider tips from a guy who knows (me )

Hope it all works out for you.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:47 PM
HCF Member

I am starting to suspect that her whole exhaust system might be messed up or shes just going to the worst mechanics possible.