New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Honda virgin here to learn!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Talking Honda virgin here to learn!

Hey guys, it looks like I've been bitten by the Honda bug. I spend an inordinate amount of time on YouTube, and I have really enjoyed videos that demonstrate just how capable Civics can be when modified, and driven, in the appropriate way.

I'm interested in buying a Honda Civic, but I'm not really a gearhead. While I do love cars, especially ones that are affordable and fun to drive even if they are slow, I have little to no experience working on them, and much of the terminology is over my head.

That being said, I'm here to learn what the best choice for me would be when finally going out to purchase my first Honda Civic.

I'm looking for something, obviously, that is in good condition that has been, cared for and driven reasonably responsibly. The part I'm going to need help with is figuring out what sort of combination of powertrain components would be best for me. I know there has to be a long list of engines with all these number and letter designations which mean nothing to me, and transmission types, as well as drive axle types.. I'm not really sure how that all fits together to give me the sort of ride type I want to experience.

I'm also concerned about whether or not whatever I purchase would be compatible with a wide array of modifications. My end goal with any Honda Civic I purchase would be a vehicle equipped with vtec, possibly turbo, and a responsive but very comfortable feel that is decent for longer road trips.

I've had crappy cars before and I've always screwed them up, riced them out, because lack of money combined with lack of knowledge leads to horribly silly, stupid modifications.

I want to treat whatever Civic I buy right. I'm not looking to impress anyone with it - I don't want to do anything crazy with it. I just want a clean Civic that's reliable, comfortable, fun to drive, and fairly economical.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:53 AM

What is your budget?

Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 PM

Well, I'm going to be saving my money up for something probably absolutely stock, and something probably early to mid-90's, so I'm thinking of spending anywhere between 1500 to 3000 dollars for just the car itself. I realize a lot of work would need to be done to accomplish my goals for the car.

edit:

At this point I'm fond of the rather boxy hatchbacks, even including the CRX, or a 2 door coupe. Going up into the mid 90's models which are more softly shaped, I'd still prefer a hatch or coupe.

Of course, If I could afford something year 2000 or newer, I'd go for it, but I know that Hondas hold resale value and I shouldn't expect too much for my money.

Last edited by ModestNeophyte; 12-08-2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: extra information