New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.
View Poll Results: A poll
1-2
28.57%
2-3
0%
0%
Entire pot of coffee!!!
71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

How many cups of coffee has Si Racer had today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 09:54 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: How many cups of coffee has Si Racer had today?

ORIGINAL: SiRacer
I run 92 octane at all times so it didnt make a diference with me
higher octane fuel is mainly to prevent detonation in the cylinder (also referred to as "knocking" i believe). in other words, you don't want the fuel to burn until your spark plug sparks.. usually, in high compression engines, this is required because the higher the compression, the more heat is in the cylinder.. as you get to a certain pressure (or heat), the fuel will ignite spontaneously. you certainly DO NOT want this because the piston is (or could be) on the down stroke (compression cycle). This will **** up your engine and you will have **** power..

now, adding simply mods like air intake and exhaust will not affect the compression enough so you need higher octane gas.. if the owners manual said 89.. that's all you need. but, it can't hurt to put high octane gas in.. it is supposed to produce more power becasue the higher octane gas, when burned, releases more heat.. thereby producing more power. but it probably isn't noticeable.

a turbo or super charger on the other hand will definately change your compression enough to require the highest grade fuel available to you.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:59 PM
HCF Member

whoa. higher octane gas doesnt burn faster or hotter. and i suggested it because of the ecu upgrade, which will advance the ignition timing maps, which requires higher octane fuel to prevent detonation.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: no9t9

I run 92 octane at all times so it didnt make a diference with me
higher octane fuel is mainly to prevent detonation in the cylinder (also referred to as "knocking" i believe). in other words, you don't want the fuel to burn until your spark plug sparks.. usually, in high compression engines, this is required because the higher the compression, the more heat is in the cylinder.. as you get to a certain pressure (or heat), the fuel will ignite spontaneously. you certainly DO NOT want this because the piston is (or could be) on the down stroke (compression cycle). This will **** up your engine and you will have **** power..

now, adding simply mods like air intake and exhaust will not affect the compression enough so you need higher octane gas.. if the owners manual said 89.. that's all you need. but, it can't hurt to put high octane gas in.. it is supposed to produce more power becasue the higher octane gas, when burned, releases more heat.. thereby producing more power. but it probably isn't noticeable.

a turbo or super charger on the other hand will definately change your compression enough to require the highest grade fuel available to you.
Nice info here.[sm=smiley20.gif]

But what HP can one increase by throwing on CAI and exhaust system? I've heard 15 HP for the CAI but my bro. in law said that's probably high. He said more like 5-10 at best.

Thanks again for the great post on Octane and when to use it.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:04 PM

I suggest that u get a pulley kit with that and a ECU with the intake and Exhaust the ECU will give u the most power u can get out of them. Cause with the stok ECU it still has restrictions. Are you getting a Catback with exhaust manifold or just a catback
Si, not to informed here. But common sense tells me that I should do the manifold at the same time as the catback.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:05 PM
HCF Member

yeah, that sounds more like it. but it makes it a lot more fun to drive, and you know if you come up on an identical car with less mods, you know your car is faster.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:08 PM
HCF Member

you can do one or both, do both if you can afford it. and a high flow cat.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:10 PM

ORIGINAL: sacicons

yeah, that sounds more like it. but it makes it a lot more fun to drive, and you know if you come up on an identical car with less mods, you know your car is faster.
So an upgrade from headers to muffler can produce a night and day change in performance eh? It's gonna be fun messin' with this car.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:15 PM
HCF Member

yeah, it wont be a beast, but youll like the change.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:19 PM

Thanks sac, I'll keep posting about this car as I go through it. Luckily my bro. in law is a gear head and will be stoked to help me out on it. Thanks again man.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Hugh Manatee

Just jokin' with you Si! You're tearing this board up right now.
Yeah seriously. 41 posts on his first day.