HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/new-member-introductions-4/)
-   -   i got a hard decision to make.. (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/new-member-introductions-4/i-got-hard-decision-make-29219/)

iheartmyhonda 09-18-2006 04:04 PM

i got a hard decision to make..

pleaase take the time to read this. i know its kinda long. but i'd appreciate it:D!

ok. so i been a member of this forum for like 2 weeks now. i still dont have a civic. but ive been reading a whoooole lot to get my knowledge up. before i joined this forum, i knew absolutely nothing about cars, engines, etc. [sm=roll.gif]. i feel i've learned lots of things. (thanks)

ok. so now im about to buy a civic. a 4-door 2000 honda civic LX with 71,000mi. to be specific for about $6500. ( i wanted a 2-door EX but my grandparents want me to get a 4-door. =/ ) but then my grandparents throw me a curve. they say we can go look at that or you can get a BRAND NEW '06 nissan sentra 1.8 base. not an SE-R :(. but still. its brand new! i really, reaaaally want a civic, but i want a brand new car so i can feel assured that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. so its a hard decision. i'm wondering what you guys would do? which one would you go with? and is that a good deal on the civic? and do you guys know if nissans are good like hondas? because i know hondas are like the awesome cars. haha.

AND also, i have a question. when you get a new car, you have to "break it in right." how important is this. thats my main concern with the civic i'm lookin at. if you were to mess around while breaking a car in or just do it comepletely wrong, would it affect the engine life or performance a considerable amount? i'm scared the engine on the civic may not have been broken in right. you never know! and really thats the only thing holdin me back from buying it.

thanks and sorry for all the questions.

blackcivicsi 09-18-2006 04:43 PM

RE: i got a hard decision to make..

ok, first of all, i like hondas. but im going to help you. buy the sentra. the sentra first of all is probably faster than the lx, and i dont think you would be happy with the four door civic. the situation that you are in means that either way you are not getting a performance car. the civic has more potential, but the sentra is new. yes there is a break in period on engines and that can affect the longevity of the motor. who bought the civic new? the owner of the car can tell you alot about how they treated it. if it was a normal, older man or lady, than the engine is probably fine. but alot of my friends, younger guys, drive the crap out of them off of the dealers lot. buying the sentra would assure you that you know the history of the car because you are writing it. the price difference is alot though, but if its being bought for you then who cares, right? and yes, nissans can be very good cars also. buy the nissan.

iheartmyhonda 09-18-2006 05:35 PM

hey man. thanks a lot for the opinion.
yeah i'm kinda leaning more over torwards the new sentra now. but i still gotta go and check out the civic. and if its in really good condition. i might have to scoop it up. because i really want a civic. my friend showed me a pic of this 4-door civic someone has and fixed up. and it was pretty clean. yes, i would like a 2-door, but a 4-door isnt that big a deal is it? lol.
but yeah. if the civic isnt worth getting. i'm gonna have to go and buy the sentra and have to switch my mindstate from honda to nissan.. *sniff. =/

i'll be back and tell you how things go and what i chose to pick up.

cyberx32 09-18-2006 08:27 PM

sounds like both cars are nice. The civics on those yeears are not the funnest to mod because they dont make too many performance parts for them, but they dont for the sentras either. So it is really up to you. I would still pick the civic because that way you pay it off right away and then spend the rest of the money on whatever you want.

blackcivicsi 09-18-2006 08:51 PM

e aint payin for it!

baker 09-18-2006 09:15 PM

why wouldn't they make parts for a 2000? the d16y7 has a WHOLE lot more parts than an 01-05's d17a1 or a2....

mybrokenblinker 09-18-2006 10:22 PM

I agree with baker, they make quite a few parts for the sixth gens. I have a sixth gen, i love it. But all honda bias aside, lets be reasonable here. A brand new nice car, or a used one. I would understand if he were paying for it, he could get the civic for less, do a mini me or engine swap and go away happy. But, if his parents are paying for it, take the sentra. Take this from the person that has an ex of the same gen. Sure you could work on the lx, but it is a non vtec d16. But its all your choice, just use us as advice and get the one you decide you like after trying them both.

Pete 09-18-2006 10:27 PM

Id go for the honda. 4 doors arent that bad. Just get a little tint, some wheels and youve got a sleek looking car. Nissan Sentras are too long looking for my taste. The honda is better for you because its easier to work on, and will last longer. You could do a Mini Me head swap and get dat Vtec Yo.

FordFTMFW 09-18-2006 10:30 PM

Get a Ford! THEY ARE FTW!

Pete 09-18-2006 10:32 PM

I have a ford. 1989 F-250 5.8 EFI. The things a WORKER.