New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Introduce mah self

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Default Introduce mah self

Hey I'm gettin a 98 Civic in about a week. It's an auto which is my only qualm. I am looking too see if it is at all practical to make it a stick shift. I heard that its not too bad, but I'll find out. Just looking to make a reliable car that goes fast. Any tips are welcome. Thanks guys and I'm lookin forward to drivin a Civic. Noice

Old 06-04-2010, 08:39 PM

Found the thread to help with the swap. I'm liking this forum already.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:44 PM

Welcome to the forum! Where abouts in PA are you from?

What motor is in the Civic you are getting? If you are unsure, is it stock? and what trim is it? (EX, DX, LX, CX ?)

Old 06-04-2010, 09:55 PM

I believe it's an LX not positive though. My neighbor did just offer me a stick shift one, but it has 130k miles on it and the automatic has farrrrrrr less. So if they scrap it I think I'll try and steal the needed parts from the car. Oh and Ardmore area, it right outside of Philly.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:48 AM

Well, what model is your neighbor trying to sell you? Depending on price and what not, the 5 speed may be a better choice.

Sweet. I am in West Chester, like 45 min outside of the city. I plan on heading into N. Philly tonight to borrow a buddies fender roller and get that done with my car.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:39 PM

I forgot to get the model but it is a 5 speed. The only thing is the milage its 130000 miles and the auto has 75000 which is a huge difference. They are about the same price which is about $1500. So it's inexpensive either way. And I'm not far from West Chester. Got a couple of friends there too.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:52 PM

I got the auto today it's a DX 2 door and I drove it for the first time and I'm really happy with the feel of the Civic it's so nice. Plus my family said they will help me with the cost to convert the car to a manual. We did consider buying the one with a manual already in it, but this one has 15000 less miles on it (I was originally mistaken on the mileage) and it's 2 door which was what we were looking for. Besides it is a one (now 2) owner car and it's in great shape. Once the trans is in it I'm thinking of a cold air intake. If that is a good idea at least.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:12 PM

Post up some pics! Good to hear you are happy with everything.

I am still interested to see what trim the "other" car was. If it was an EX, I would have jumped on that instead. My car has 167,000 on it, and it is boosted. Hondas will run forever as long as you take care of them.

I would skip the intake for now as the gains are extremely minimal, if any. Regarding mods after the AT to MT swap (since that would be my first priority anyways), would be either any of the following:

1. Engine work - y8 VTEC head "Mini me swap"
- replacing all of the belts (timing belt, alt. belt, P/S belt, etc etc)
- replacing water pump/tensioner, since you would be down in there already.
- Converting to the "EX/SI" style exhaust. (We have a sticky on it in the exhaust or DIY section here I think)

2. Exterior work - 99-00 Front end conversion....that is, IF you like it. I prefer the 99-00 front than the 96-98, but that is just me. (Google Image it if you don't know what I am talking about.)
- Lip kit (please, no body kits)
- Wheels (please nothing over 16")

3. Suspension work - Coilovers,
- Camber kits
- Rear sway bar, brace (if needed)
- Lifetime alignment plan from a local reputable shop.

4. Interior work - Audio......speakers, amp, headunit, sub (if you are into that - I had one 10" at like 200w rms and it was perfect for me)
- Nicer seats (NOT 3A racing from Pepboys..LOL) I would suggest a nice set of 94-01 Integra seats.
- SI gauge cluster

-Basically, I would suggest to do things in stages. If you want an exhaust kit first, then get a header, EX/SI cat. converter, cat-back exhaust system (youtube "Civic exhaust" and hear what you like best), all new exhaust gaskets, and all new exhaust bushings. Intake system first instead (since you mentioned it in the previous post)? I would go for a Cold air intake (you don't HAVE to run it as a cold air, we can discuss it later - post a separate thread in the appropriate section with specific questions), B16 60mm TB (not 100% necessary though), silicone couplers, and new hose clamps, or tbolt clamps (if you have the money).

^^^^^Everything above is/would be after I know that the car is running 100% properly etc etc. What I am saying is, if you have something f@cked up on your car, fix it, or replace with something better . Sometimes, it is easy to be lazy and go ahead with the "fun" mods while looking away from "general maintenance" and fixing little things (those "little" things add up quick lol), hell, even I have done that sometimes!

Note: All of the mods I suggested above are based on what I would do, if you have a different opinion, go for it. Only do what you like to the car, not what others like.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:00 PM

That is actually all of the information I need. I wasn't sure of the order And I was mainly going for the intake because of the relative cheapness. I was also thinking the cold air cause it seems to be the usual there is also the ram air intake which i guess would be a good choice considering how hot the summers get here in PA. Although It will probably be spending most of it's time in Altoona since I go to college there and it gets really friggin cold up there in the winter. Whatever works I'll figure it out. I think the belts would be a good way to go since they usually aren't expensive and once the trans is in too the new dash may be a good call. Ah and I am considering a short shifter, but it really isn't too necessary. Thanks for all the information I'm definately gonna keep in touch and I'm gonna lurk these forums to learn as much as I possibly can!

Last edited by ABEC11SpeedMachine; 06-06-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by ABEC11SpeedMachine
and once the trans is in too the new dash may be a good call.
When you say dash, are you referring to the dash board (big ol' piece), or the cluster, or headunit?

Ah and I am considering a short shifter, but it really isn't too necessary. Thanks for all the information I'm definately gonna keep in touch and I'm gonna lurk these forums to learn as much as I possibly can!
I forgot to mention in the other post, just make sure you research everything, if just a little bit, and figure out what it will cost. I say this because everyone's financial situation is different (etc etc etc), and so you don't jump into something and end up spending more than you would like. For some of the bigger things, add an extra $50-100 on top of what you think it will cost, last minute little things add up quick!

A short shifter would be a good idea, too. Just make sure the one you get is steel, and not aluminum. I have the Skunk2 short shifter and weighted ****, and I haven't had any problems with it (been using it for about 2 1/2 years). I would also recommend getting some black Energy Suspension shifter bushings. They are like $15 and make shifting feel more precise/solid. They are also very simple to install, I think I did a how to guide on it as well.

Definitely check out the DIY section for a lot of good ideas. Make sure you read the stickies in the tops of each forum if you have time and be sure to search before you make a post. If you have unanswered questions after searching around, post up! Oh yea, if you think this will turn into a "mini project" of yours, set-up a project thread!

Quick Reply: Introduce mah self