New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Just got me a Civic

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Default Just got me a Civic

Hello everyone. I just got me a new to me 98 Civic EX 5 spd. It has 110k on the clock. Silver. Very well kept. I am kinda new to the gassers again. I have been driving only diesel trucks for the past 5 years or so. I might need a refresher...LOL. One thing I have noticed is that there is a ton of play in the shifter. It shifts fine and have not had any trouble, but I would like to tighten it up and maybe add a short shifter. Any thoughts? TIA.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:55 AM
Default RE: Just got me a Civic

Here are some pics.

It is stock as stock can be.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:45 PM

OK, what can yall tell me about the 98s? Good bad, things to do, any ideas?

Old 12-02-2007, 02:09 PM

what do you want to do with it. i have a 98 too and i love it...im pullin about 260 horses right now. there are alot of things you can do.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: novocainemaster

what do you want to do with it. i have a 98 too and i love it...im pullin about 260 horses right now. there are alot of things you can do.
It is going to be a DD. I have a large truck that was my DD but with fuel prices the way they are and diesel being about $0.40 higher a gallon, it found me a decent run around car. It will remain mostly stock looking other than some tint probably. I am thinking about intake and exhaust first. Probably a short throw. There is a pretty good amount of play in the shifter though and I want to get that fixed. Basicly, some mods that make it more fun to drive and still get real good fuel milage. Sleeper if anything.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:50 PM

Also, wanting to know the basics about my car. Motor and such.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:24 PM
HCF Member

you've got a D16y8 with VTEC, 1.6L, very good base model! There are ALOT of people around here that have built or boosted y8's, so you've got a good start. First off, i'd recommend lowering springs (possibly shocks too), some wheels, then figure out what you want. If you want a turbo DD, start saving up and start looking into piecing together a turbo kit (by reading the stickies in the turbo/nitrous/supercharger section), or if you just want some I/H/E, which can be fun too, read the stickies in the Header, Intake, Exhaust FAQ and learn about which I/H/E would be best for you.

and welcome to HCF!

Old 12-03-2007, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

you've got a D16y8 with VTEC, 1.6L, very good base model! There are ALOT of people around here that have built or boosted y8's, so you've got a good start. First off, i'd recommend lowering springs (possibly shocks too), some wheels, then figure out what you want. If you want a turbo DD, start saving up and start looking into piecing together a turbo kit (by reading the stickies in the turbo/nitrous/supercharger section), or if you just want some I/H/E, which can be fun too, read the stickies in the Header, Intake, Exhaust FAQ and learn about which I/H/E would be best for you.

and welcome to HCF!
Thanks Flip for the info.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:39 AM
HCF Member

Looks good. Has it ever been wrecked? Looks like the pass. fender is a different color.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: 2slo4u

Looks good. Has it ever been wrecked? Looks like the pass. fender is a different color.

Yeah, the guy said he had a minor fender bender and when he got if fixed, they did not really match the paint as well as they could have. You can actually see it a whole lot better in the picture than you can in person. You have to look at just the right angle with the right light in person to notice it. It is super clean inside and it runs and drives great.