New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

VTEC???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Default VTEC???

Hi everyone/anyone,

I am totally new to Civics.What is VTEC? Does every Honda period have a "VTEC" engine? Or,is VTEC a special...sort of upgraded version of the 1.7L SOHC i the EX Civ? Please educate me o this!

Thanks

Old 01-26-2005, 11:20 AM
Default RE: VTEC???

VTEC is a variable Valve Timing and Electronic lift Control module. Its an electronic system which changes the lift and duration of valves opening and closing based on RPM, so that at any different area in the power band the engine is operating at an 'optimal' level. Many other companies have since marketed variable valve timing engines, such as toyota for example, and their VVT-i system.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:28 AM

I understand VTEC but whats the difference between VTEC and i-VTEC?

Old 01-26-2005, 11:50 AM

That im not sure on. I would think its probably an updated, more efficient, version of the system which has been in production since what, 93ish?
Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable honda guys would step in and I could learn something.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:01 PM

Well, thats what i thought, but the 99 SI's came stock with 160 hp and it's a 1.6L. The newer SI's are 2.0L and still are spec'ed at 160 hp. I don't know if that number is just understated on purpose or what the deal is.

Old 01-26-2005, 01:48 PM

Oooooh okay, so when I see a Civic with VTEC in huge lettering on the side of the car...it is just somebody being a VTEC fan,right? I thought it was representative of like...hey look world I have the suped up version of a particular make of Civic. Well,apparently not. Thanks Grim.

Old 01-26-2005, 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: VW/CIVIC

Oooooh okay, so when I see a Civic with VTEC in huge lettering on the side of the car...it is just somebody being a VTEC fan,right? I thought it was representative of like...hey look world I have the suped up version of a particular make of Civic. Well,apparently not. Thanks Grim.

Not trying to speak for Grim, but not all Civics come with the VTEC equipped motor. The Civics you see with the DOHC VTEC emblem on the lower part of the car in front of the rear wheels is usually an indicator that the car is running a Dual Over Head Cam Variable valve Timing and Electronic lift Control engine. There are many different types of Civics (EX, LX, etc...) but those do not come factory equipped with a DOHC VTEC engine. The Civic SI is the performance version of the Civic and comes equipped with a DOHC VTEC engine from the factory. However, if you buy a Civic that is not an SI there are ways to swap the current engine for the DOHC VTEC engine.

Old 01-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Old 01-26-2005, 02:50 PM

Well, in actuality, there are many SOHC VTEC engines as well (it doesn't just come on the DOHC motors.)

Old 01-26-2005, 07:30 PM
HCF Member

i think he was trying to say that, but it lost something in translation. but the ones with the DOHC VTEC stickers on the side are usually SIs with the powerful motors.

simply put, Vtec changes the cams profile from a stock profile, to a near race cam profile at the rpm where it starts to help make more power. I-Vtec also controls the timing of the cams as compares to the crankshaft, it automatically advances and retards the cam timing like those fancy AEM cam gears all of us pre-01 guys have to buy and set at a constant setting, whereas the I changes it as you drive. the new one only puts out 160 with 2 liters because Honda wanted more torque out of it. but they didnt want to hurt the RSX-S sales either. the new si has a setting that only changes the cam timing and duration, and not the lift.

Quick Reply: VTEC???